What's in season right now in your region of the world?

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
3:19 AM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
Since we have members from all over the world, I thought it would be interesting to hear about what foods are in season right now wherever you're based!

Living in Japan right now, autumn is one of my favorite seasons. A lot of my favorites are around right now in plentiful supply. Kabocha (pumpkins), beni-imo (purple sweet potato) and regular sweet potato for that matter, chestnuts, and kaki (persimmons) are all pretty widely available right now.

What about where you are? What's in season and ripe for the picking?

I know pear a.k.a avocado seems to be going out of season and that does not make me very happy at all. What's in season? Right about now in November everyone is going to want a conkie which looks like this:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQQ1TZ_uUERu8Kmme1vFNxdNdUMtPgAg0XHNNlI_O1InQ5y1pe.jpg
It's made with cassava, cornmeal and some of the other good stuff. So cassava and corn meal are in season or should be. I've never made them but I used to think only my mom could make them and I still only want at least one that she makes. I want to share a recipe but I think I am going to consult with my mom first. I am checking the recipes and everyone is using pumpkin. I remember cassava being a key ingredient. Help me out Caribbean girl. Will still share a recipe I found online.
http://www.barbados.org/barbados-recipes-conkies.htm#.Vj3oaLerTIV

I live in Canada and it is the fall of the year. Our growing season has ended now that the colder weather is here. This time of year pumpkins, apples and most garden vegetables are plentiful.

I know pear a.k.a avocado seems to be going out of season and that does not make me very happy at all. What's in season? Right about now in November everyone is going to want a conkie which looks like this:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQQ1TZ_uUERu8Kmme1vFNxdNdUMtPgAg0XHNNlI_O1InQ5y1pe.jpg
It's made with cassava, cornmeal and some of the other good stuff. So cassava and corn meal are in season or should be. I've never made them but I used to think only my mom could make them and I still only want at least one that she makes. I want to share a recipe but I think I am going to consult with my mom first. I am checking the recipes and everyone is using pumpkin. I remember cassava being a key ingredient. Help me out Caribbean girl. Will still share a recipe I found online.
http://www.barbados.org/barbados-recipes-conkies.htm#.Vj3oaLerTIV

YUM! That sounds fabulous - I'd never even heard of them before but it sounds like a bunch of things I love wrapped in one neat parcel!

YUM! That sounds fabulous - I'd never even heard of them before but it sounds like a bunch of things I love wrapped in one neat parcel!

I am not a big fan but I am happy to have one or two for the season so to speak. I watched my mom make it as a child and I was never inclined to learn to make it. For me it involves too much work.

I am checking the recipes and everyone is using pumpkin. I remember cassava being a key ingredient. Help me out Caribbean girl. Will still share a recipe I found online.

My mom always made conkies with pumpkin, coconut and cornmeal. She never used cassava. However, some people do add sweet potato and others use cassava. I am a great lover of conkies myself, but have never attempted making them. I have seen my mother making them and it sure is a lot of work. The pumpkin and the coconut have to be grated first of all, and that alone takes time. Cleaning and singeing the banana leaves is also part of the process. After the mixture is made, it then has to be put into the banana leaves and wrapped. I always helped out with that part of it. Sometimes we would use cord for wrapping.

Apart from conkies, what is in season right now are sugar apples (and these are the type of apples I like to eat) as well as golden apples which will also shortly be in season. While I am not fond of red apples, I love our local golden apples. Guavas are another fruit that are in season now. These are also a favourite of mine.

Here in Serbia right now we are at the beginning of winter. It is the time of feasts and good food. Autumn is the season for something we call 'winter stores'. Basically we make food for the winter. Basically from the stuff we do not have in winter and we usually make dips and jarred salads. We pickle or brine everything :). A special brine is made for cabbage and it is the favourite salad for winter. Here we all say we do not like the winter but somehow most of us are happier now then in summer. Maybe it's the food.

I live in the UK and the weather here at this time of the year is cold. Root vegetables, such as carrots, swede and parsnips are in season now and people use these to make hearty, warming and filling meals, such as stews, broths, pies or casseroles.

The seasons have got a bit mixed up with the warm eater in December where cauliflowers came to check 3 months early ,
Jerusalem arts ,root veg to include horseradish and was the the chilled seas shell fish is great

I am from India and the winter season is going on here. I live in North India where winters are quite cold compared to the South of India. Winter season generally lasts till the mid of March.

This thread made me think because it seems that there is no season here in terms of food except for the fruits. With vegetables, we have them all year round whether the native vegetables like squash and bitter gourd and imported vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower. With fruits, mangoes are now in season and also watermelon. And since the weather here is not hot, the favorite dishes are the hot dishes normally found in the southern part of Metro Manila.

In Hungary and eastern europe:

radish, carrots, leeks, green onions and in a little time the small new potatoes are gonna be all over the place.
Every spring I go to the market on the weekends, buy some potatoes and fry them with parsley and green onions on some butter!

Back
Top Bottom