What's in your pasta salad?

Ellyn

Veteran
Local time
5:02 AM
I had a white radish today. I realized that it would go great with some pasta and a vinaigrette or maybe even a mayonnaise-based dressing (or carbonara, maybe?) and Swiss cheese. Mild kick, that's the character of it.

Sure, I could keep it that simple. But I'm looking for other ideas and combinations for pasta salads. Maybe I could add crunchy pears, finely-sliced white onions, and parboiled cauliflower to the one I described above.

Do you have a favorite kind of pasta to go with it? I'm thinking of shell pasta or lasagne noodles for mine, the former being easier to spoon and the latter being easier to fork.

The pasta salads I'm used to are of course sort of characterized by "garden variety" flavors/textures: zucchini, cucumbers, broccoli, parboiled carrots.

What dressing do you like on it? Croutons? Cheese? Herbs?

For a bbq, my pasta salad contains mayonaise, salt and pepper, diced onion, diced bell pepper, a bag of thawed peas and carrots, pickle relish, and mustard.
For a meal, my and my son's favourite pasta salad contains 1 bag of mini turkey pepperoni, 1 lb of shaped pasta(bow tie, rotini, penne, or whatever-my son loves this with Wacky Mac-made of veggies-he gets more veggies that way, too, and I'm happy), 1 can of drained diced tomatoes, 1 can of drained sliced black olives, 1 block of monterey jack cheese diced, and 1 cup of Italian dressing. So yummy. Cook pasta til al dente, and dice everything and place in large bowl while pasta is cooking.

I make a number of pasta salads, though some are more of a meal themselves because of what I add. I think the one I use most for a side is when I use the "garden noodles", the green/white/orange the swirly ones. I use mayo and sour cream, I really love how the taste is. I then use garlic powder, pepper, salt, and a tad of dill. I mix in sweet onion, thinly sliced carrots, and small pieces of broccoli. I think it really makes it better, and occasionally sliced black olives. I will occasionally make it with the veggie noodles and tomatoes, black olives, green peppers, and onions, with Parmesan and Italian dressing.

For a bbq, my pasta salad contains mayonaise, salt and pepper, diced onion, diced bell pepper, a bag of thawed peas and carrots, pickle relish, and mustard.

Ooh, that sounds crisp with just a bit of grounding from the peas and carrots. As I said, I like a bit of kick!

For a meal, my and my son's favourite pasta salad contains 1 bag of mini turkey pepperoni, 1 lb of shaped pasta(bow tie, rotini, penne, or whatever-my son loves this with Wacky Mac-made of veggies-he gets more veggies that way, too, and I'm happy), 1 can of drained diced tomatoes, 1 can of drained sliced black olives, 1 block of monterey jack cheese diced, and 1 cup of Italian dressing. So yummy. Cook pasta til al dente, and dice everything and place in large bowl while pasta is cooking.

I love poultry for pasta salads, and turkey's my favorite. I might make a white sauce version of this, thanks!

I make a number of pasta salads, though some are more of a meal themselves because of what I add. I think the one I use most for a side is when I use the "garden noodles", the green/white/orange the swirly ones. I use mayo and sour cream, I really love how the taste is. I then use garlic powder, pepper, salt, and a tad of dill. I mix in sweet onion, thinly sliced carrots, and small pieces of broccoli. I think it really makes it better, and occasionally sliced black olives. I will occasionally make it with the veggie noodles and tomatoes, black olives, green peppers, and onions, with Parmesan and Italian dressing.

Definitely meal-y! I should try mixing mayo and sour cream one of these days instead of feeling like I should only pick one or the other.

I am not a fan of pasta salad. To me, pasta is something to be eaten warm. I am the same about potato salad. However, my children really love tuna pasta salad. I mix tinned tuna with pasta, mayonnaise and sweetcorn.

When my husband makes pasta salad, he buys the already made pack that has all the ingredients in it. When he finishes making it, he puts small ham cubes in it and it taste amazing.

I make a pasta salad with pesto sauce with a touch of mayonnaise or with olive oil and tomato puree. My favorite ingredients are peas, roasted peppers ( Red, orange and yellow) with sweetcorn. Sometimes I add some broccoli as well, but not raw, cooked and cooled down. This is mine snack dish, but can also be used as a side. I'm generous with my black pepper and chilli flakes as well.

Back
Top Bottom