What's the difference between kaffir limes and 'ordinary' limes?

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
6:44 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Anothet thread got me wondering what the difference between kaffir limes and 'ordinary' limes is? And other than the photo that showed one with wrinkly skin and the other with smoother skin, I realised I have no idea!

So can someone please tell me?

What I know is that kaffir lime leaves are fantastic and ordinary lime leaves don't work! I use the leaves a lot. Do you use them? So, I'm thinking that the limes themselves probably have a fantastic perfume (as do the leaves). @Yorky will have to tell us...

Mine are still whole in the fridge. Not that I expect to be able to differentiate between the two aromas (and subsequently describe them) but I'll give it a go later when I cut them up.

I've now cut them up and I'm sorry but they both smell the same (at least they do to me). However we now have the wonderful smell of limes permeating through the house. The one difference I did find was that there was a greater number of pips (about 15) in a kaffir than the standard lime; in fact there were no pips in the standard limes. They both came from a friend's garden so I shall need to enquire about the latter.

comparison-s.jpg

limepickle-is-s.jpg

The Oxford Companion to Food recommends that makrut (another name for the same lime) be used rather than kaffir - which is an offensive term in some cultures.

for people in the UK there is a programme on TV tonight in the series Food Unwrapped. Channel 4, 8.30 pm. One of presenters goes to Israel where she gets advice on which colour limes are the juiciest.

I did notice that there was more juice in the ordinary limes however, they were a few days fresher.

The Food Unwrapped TV programme named the Australian finger lime as the juiciest of limes, but it tends to be rather expensive, being prized for its caviar-like interior! Apparently the limes which most of us are more likely to be familiar with are going to be juicier if they have pale and smooth skins. I find that rolling a lime under my hand on a work surface releases its juices more readily when it is opened.

So @SatNavSaysStraightOn, are you going to go in search of Australian Finger Limes?
given that I am housebound for the foreseeable future (except for hospital visits and doctors visits) I suspect not sadly.

I find that rolling a lime under my hand on a work surface releases its juices more readily when it is opened.
that works for any citrus fruit especially lemons. As does zapping it in the microwave for 10 seconds before using. Any longer and you start destroying the vit c though.

given that I am housebound for the foreseeable future (except for hospital visits and doctors visits) I suspect not sadly.
Don't worry. Even if you could track them down I don't think you would want to buy one. I watched the programme and they are so sought after as 'gourmet bush tucker' they retail at an eye-watering £10 per lime!:eek:

Back
Top Bottom