What's the one dish you love to prepare for kids for lunch or dinner?

Local time
12:18 PM
So the family is coming over and that includes a few kids. What do you prepare particularly with them in mind? Well for me it's going to our local macaroni pie.

Macaroni pie is considered to be one of our traditional dishes and personally I am not big on being traditional in the kitchen. Yet whenever I know I will have kids over for lunch or dinner I ALWAYS prepare that special macaroni pie. I feel like I might disappointing if I don't prepare this dish. What's your favorite thing to prepare for the kids?

For kids I usually just pick the common denominator dishes like pasta, chicken nuggets, or fried chicken, etc. I try to put my twist on them just so I don't get bored as I get to experiment while cooking traditional dishes but I try not to go overboard as kids usually aren't very experimental themselves when it comes to food.

My family have a few favourites. My daughter always asks me to make fishcakes and my oldest son would go for spaghetti carbonara. I enjoy making them a roast dinner too as I usually serve about four different vegetables with them. I have four children and none of them are fussy eaters, so they are usually happy with just about anythingI make.

For kids I usually just pick the common denominator dishes like pasta, chicken nuggets, or fried chicken, etc. I try to put my twist on them just so I don't get bored as I get to experiment while cooking traditional dishes but I try not to go overboard as kids usually aren't very experimental themselves when it comes to food.

That's so true about the pasta, chicken nuggets and fried chicken. When my son was much younger he would often remind me that I could not cook like the Colonel. That didn't make me happy then and he would still say it even now. That fried chicken and those chips always get most kids going but I am not going to try to compete. It's too much oil for me and if it's not good for me, it's not good for him.

He still runs out to get some every now and then and I'll pick at it sometimes just out of being plain "greedy":).

That's so true about the pasta, chicken nuggets and fried chicken. When my son was much younger he would often remind me that I could not cook like the Colonel. That didn't make me happy then and he would still say it even now. That fried chicken and those chips always get most kids going but I am not going to try to compete. It's too much oil for me and if it's not good for me, it's not good for him.

He still runs out to get some every now and then and I'll pick at it sometimes just out of being plain "greedy":).
Yeah the kids in my family are the same. Even when we're eating at very fancy restaurants they always end up asking for fast food fried chicken or they order the most ordinary thing like pasta with red sauce. I always keep this in mind whenever I'll be spending time with them so I can plan out a good meal plan for both kids and adults.

I don't know, I think I'm being too simplistic in the decision but I love to make shaped grilled-cheese sandwiches. I have holiday cookie cutters and I can do my own extra cutting to turn them into other shapes. It seems like it's a big hit with kids. They haven't complained about it. Then again, their probably just happy to have a grilled cheese sandwich.

My children always want grilled cheese or macaroni snf chesse. sometimes I make quedadillias to. Almost anything with cheese makes them happy.

Ooh! What a fun thread!

I have 4 kids - though one is on breastmilk only so she doesn't count. My kids' favorite is Taco Tuesday. I find that it is a lot of silly prep - but not necessarily a difficult meal to throw together for cooking. We usually have everything on hand, so slicing and dicing things is the bulk of the work. I also find that throwing a bunch of leftovers into a skillet with some fresh veggies is an easy way to make fajitas.

It seems like my kids will eat just about anything they can smother in sour cream and cheese.

Back
Top Bottom