What's the scariest thing in your kitchen?

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
11:39 PM
It used to be the mandolin, with those medieval instruments of torture known as the Julienne attachments. Just getting it out of the cupboard could result in serious lascerations, even complete loss of digits if you weren't careful. We have now replaced this with a far simpler one that just slices things thinly, and thus comes with a far more favourable risk assessment.

Thus, the title of scariest thing in the kitchen has now passed to the pestle and mortar. Not that it is particularly dangerous to use, in fact it can be quite theraputic. No, the risk to wellbeing comes when you try to move the damned thing, for it weighs about the same as a small car. Carrying it across the kitchen with hands still slippery from the olive oil and garlic rub you have just scooped out of it is not for the feint hearted. Believe me, you really wouldn't want to drop this beast on your foot. I doubt the kitchen floor tiles would fare much better either. What dangers lurk in your kitchen?

Agree about the pestle & mortar. In fact I did drop it once in just the way you describe onto my bamboo work surface - which now has a permanent dent.

Probably the other dangerous thing is the mandolin - but I've never cut myself on it as I'm too scared and always use a guard.

Ciao,
I have mandolin also very old, it rare I use Ray get me butchers chain glove so I no end with less fingers than I start with!! Scary thing is marble slab I use make pasta it 1 metre x 1 metre an 5 cm thick, I can not move so Ray lift if I need clean under, I try once I drag to end of counter an it slip off an I stood with thing balance on my thighs I shout Ray come an take from me. I no try move since. Ray big man an he struggle with thing.
Sarana x

Cast iron skillet (and oven-safe skillet, really) that I've just taken out of the oven and then grabbed ahold of 30 seconds later. OUCH!

My mom did break her thumb washing a Dutch oven, so I should probably count that, and washing knives is always a "will he or won't he" with regards to removing one of my digits. Same with handling the food processor blade.

It used to be the mandolin, with those medieval instruments of torture known as the Julienne attachments. Just getting it out of the cupboard could result in serious lascerations, even complete loss of digits if you weren't careful. We have now replaced this with a far simpler one that just slices things thinly, and thus comes with a far more favourable risk assessment.

Thus, the title of scariest thing in the kitchen has now passed to the pestle and mortar. Not that it is particularly dangerous to use, in fact it can be quite theraputic. No, the risk to wellbeing comes when you try to move the Darned thing, for it weighs about the same as a small car. Carrying it across the kitchen with hands still slippery from the olive oil and garlic rub you have just scooped out of it is not for the feint hearted. Believe me, you really wouldn't want to drop this beast on your foot. I doubt the kitchen floor tiles would fare much better either. What dangers lurk in your kitchen?
View attachment 39436

We have a rather large Molcajete which is large enough to make a meal in like Molcajete Mixto.

Back
Top Bottom