What's Your Favorite Bean and Rice Dish?

Allison

Veteran
Local time
7:18 AM
I have tried and tried to eat less meat. I have always loved chicken and rice. So I began substituting Beans for the chicken. I prefer using Chickpeas. I live its bland type flavor. Chickpeas generally take on the flavor of the spices. I use garlic sparingly. I love the chopped onions, salt and pepper, and bay leaves.
What's Your Favorite Bean and Rice Dish?

Mine's real simple, cooked cranberry beans (my favorite bean) cooked rice, stir your portions of both together and put sweet chili sauce on top. Sweet chili sauce is just amazing, I love it's flavor. Unfortunately it has sugar in it so I rarely buy it, even though I love it so much.

When I do not want to use meat and to do a really simple dish, I would use red kidney beans which would only have to be warmed up. I would usually use a package of Italian or Spanish rice on this occasion, since this is usually precooked and already seasoned, and only takes about 7 minutes to cook. When the rice is brought to a boil, I would add a teaspoon of margarine, stir it in, and then cook the rice over a low heat for about 7 minutes. This would then be served with the kidney beans on the side. This is one of my simplest dishes. If I like, I would sometimes serve some tomatoes with it as well.

Not beans but peas...

Fry a chopped onion till golden, add the rice (arborito or basmati (I usually use basmati)) fry for a minute, add enough nice stock to cover the rice with plenty spare (enough to boil dry with rice cooked). 5 mind before the end add the garden peas and some chopped oregano. Takes about 20 mins to make and is wonderful.

Guess you could replace the peas with some other bean and the oregano with another herb that matches your bean.

Back
Top Bottom