What's Your Favorite Food Pairing?

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
7:47 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
Some foods work well together, and some foods don't. But, some foods are truly a match made in heaven.

I'm thinking of this after ordering a steak sandwich at a restaurant I particularly like. I liked the sandwich, but when I brought half of it home, it occurred to me that I could make it better. I sauteed some mushrooms, stuffed them into the sandwich, and...the sandwich positively sang.

Garlic-Butter-Steak-Mushrooms-RECIPECARD.jpg

Steak and mushrooms are, hands down, my favorite combo. Whenever I order steak, I always order mushrooms. I don't need onions or any sauces...just give me a mountain of mushrooms.

What's your favorite? I'm thinking more along the lines of two ingredients that work exceptionally well together here, rather than two prepared foods that work well together (for example, a burger and fries or fish and chips are a familiar prepared food combinations). But, feel free to interpret this however you like.

I regularly mix potato into my scrambled eggs. Hash browns or pan fries. I like potato in my breakfast burritos, too. Meats and/or other ingredients are nice, but optional. When I went to Spain, I fell in love with the Spanish tortilla (AKA Spanish omelet).

Also, if I have a burger, it must have cheese on it. American, Swiss, cheddar, or any number of other cheeses work, but there has to be cheese. Everything else is optional, but meat and cheese are mandatory.

BTW, I also love steak and mushrooms.

CD

Garlic & butter
Ginger & garlic
Garlic & chillies
Garlic & lemon
Garlic & herbs

Hmm. I'm seeing a theme here.

Chocolate & fruit
Chicken & potatoes (especially when the potatoes are roasted in the chicken fat)
Steak & mushrooms
Mozzarella & basil
Tomatoes & balsamic vinegar
Salmon & dill
Strawberries & vanilla

Pff.. so many I can keep going. This is enough for now.

That’s a hard thing to answer, there are so many:

Scrambled eggs w/ tomato mixed in
Bacon and tomato
Bread, cheese, and green olives
Italian-style meatballs and marinara
Shredded wheat cereal and raisins
Steak and béarnaise or peppercorn sauce
For my wife…egg noodles over mashed potatoes

Yeah - tell us how you put them together @karadekoolaid. Do you mean cooked cheese?
I´ll tell you a little story.
In my family, "dinner" was served about 6-6.30pm. Then we might go to the pub to play darts, or crib, or just drink beer.
10.30, pubs closed - we´d come back starving (well who in their right mind would eat DINNER at 6????)
There was always freshly cooked or pickled beetroot in the house, so it was great chunks of cheddar, sliced beetroot, bread and butter. Hunger solved - and they make a great combination.
Sometimes, we´d add a tbsp of piccalilli as well,

Back
Top Bottom