What's Your Favorite Micro-Brew or Craft Brew?

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
1:55 AM
Here in Silicon Valley, USA, Gordon Birsch Brewery and Restaurant is in downtown San Jose. They brew classic German Beers, Maerzens, Bocks, Heffeweizens, etc.

I kind of like Red Tail Ale and Blue Moon.

There are many others.

Last edited:
Isn't Blue Moon made by 1 of the big brewing companies and distributed on a large scale?

My favorite "true local" brewer is probably Taft's:

Homepage | Taft's Brewing Co.

As for a crafted beer, but not on a micro scale, I like Sam Adams - they should be familiar to most beer-drinking Americans:

Age Gate

The CEO, Jim Koch, is a Cincinnati boy, and a lot of Sam Adams is brewed right here in the Queen City, so it may have a national/international market, but for me, it's a local beer.

Of what's available in Singapore, I've tried (and liked) Sierra Nevada, Deschutes, Founders, Heretic, few others I can't remember, and of those I usually go for an IPA or Wheat Beer. I really think these craft breweries have put the US back on the global beer map.

My über-favorites are German Hefeweizen wheat beers (I don't think you'd call these micro-brews) and my favorites are Augustiner, Weihenstephaner, Ayinger, Franziskaner, Paulaner, Schöfferhofer. For some reason I don't like Schneider Weisse (one of the bigger brands) which I find has a soapy aftertaste whenever I've had it.

Belgian beers are often found in my fridge too: La Chouffe, Duvel, Chimay...

As you can see, while not a total beer nerd, I'm quite into beer.

Great book on history and importance of beer and the rise to prominence of various brands - Pete Brown 'Man Walks into a Pub'.

I have found a web article that lists what they claim are the 24 best micro-breweries in the USA.

24 American Microbreweries Every Beer Lover Should Know

The give the definition of a micro-brewerie:

"A brewery is considered a microbrewery if it produces less than 15,000 barrels per year, with 75% or more of its beer sold off-site, according to the Brewers Association."

The article however, is dated to 2013, so things have likely changed.

I don't know that I've actually got a favourite as such. It's more for me the stylee of beer that I like. I quite like hoppy IPAs but I also appreciate a good malty brew too.
I'm on a beer app called Untappd and the beers that I rated most highly were from the Dartmoor Brewery, Jail Ale and the like.

Edited that out as it went to my Untappd page. If anyone interested in Untappd PM me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom