What's Your Favorite Sauce?

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
6:04 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
As much as I want to make things that stand on their own merit, I frequently find myself wanting to add a sauce. Some things - like pasta - expect a sauce. But, others - like sandwiches - don't always. For me, the issue becomes what the sauce does to the food: does it enhance the flavor, clash with it, or obliterate it?

I'm thinking about this after having finished one of my favorite rituals: making a breakfast sandwich or burrito to eat in the car on the way to work. While sitting down to enjoy a breakfast might be preferable, there simply isn't time in the morning (and, point of fact, I am sitting down as I drive my car).

Monday, I made a breakfast sandwich with ham, Swiss, egg, and tomato on an English Muffin. It was very good, but after making tzatziki sauce yesterday, I added it to the same basic sandwich, and it was better (and much messier).

Today, I made a burrito with cheddar, homemade sausage, egg, and a pesto I made last night. It was then that I came to my conclusion: I love a pesto on just about anything. It works on pasta, burritos, tacos, in sandwiches, on fish and poultry, and to a lesser degree on pork and beef. I would probably be happy with just a big cup of pesto and a spoon.

By the way, I freely open this question to commercial sauces, and I do include mustard and mayo in the question. For example, as much as I enjoy HP sauce, it does tend to obliterate the flavor of anything I put it on, so I need to use caution.

Yes pesto is very versatile.
Hollandaise is another one that goes with just about anything--meat, veggies, eggs, you name it.
I have not found a store bought one that was decent.
In the pro kitchen I always made it in small batches on the stove, (a hassle) but in the home
kitchen, blender hollandaise is a good compromise.

I like Hollandaise too. Eggs Benedict or Eggs Royale is one of our favourite brunch dishes in this house. I make it in a blender too. We like Siracha as far as bottled sauce goes and the usual suspects like Worcestershire, Lea and Perrin, Tomato and HP.

It all depends what I am pairing a sauce with ..

Pasta: Marinara or Classic Genovese Basil ..
Eggs Benedict: Hollandaise ..
Squid: Ali Oli ..
Fresh Cod Fish: Basque Classic Pil Pil .. ( Spanish Extra Virgin Olive Oil + Fresh Garlic )
Saint Pierre or John Dory Fish or Monk Fish: Catalan Romesco .. (Roasted red horn shaped peppers, 1 tiny chili pepper, hazelnuts, day old bread, Evoo )
Steamed Mussels in White Wine ..
Lasagne: Bolognese Traditional Emilia Romagna Ragù ..
Sashimi & Nigriri: Green Wasabe + Japanese Ecological Soy or Teriyaki ..

Off top of my head, these are the sauces I use the most ..

Wow .. it is 12.30am ..
Have a nice evening ..
Off to rest ..

This is why I like having these discussions: you've all given me some excellent things to think about (and, I haven't made hollandaise in too long...as much as I love Eggs Benedict and Eggs Oscar, I also find that it works well on asparagus).

@The Late Night Gourmet

Hollandaise is a perfect pairing for Eggs Benedict .. I sub tomato or tomato & smoked salmon ( for the meat ) ..

Have a nice weekend ..

@The Late Night Gourmet

Hollandaise is a perfect pairing for Eggs Benedict .. I sub tomato or tomato & smoked salmon ( for the meat ) ..

Have a nice weekend ..

I feel as if I'm nit picking but Hollandaise can't be a pairing with Eggs Benedict because Hollandaise is part of the 'definition' of an Eggs Benedict. I mean, Eggs Benedict already has the Hollandaise included!

It is like saying that cheese sauce is the perfect pairing for cauliflower cheese....

I feel as if I'm nit picking but Hollandaise can't be a pairing with Eggs Benedict because Hollandaise is part of the 'definition' of an Eggs Benedict. I mean, Eggs Benedict already has the Hollandaise included!

It is like saying that cheese sauce is the perfect pairing for cauliflower cheese....

@morning glory

Eggs Benedict is married to Hollandaise in this recipe .. It is paired with it as all the ingredients in an Eggs Benedict .. The Eggs, the Bread used, the Hollandaise, the bacon ( I do not eat bacon so I sub smoked salmon or tomato ) .. They are all partners of this renowned Brunch récipe ..

Perhaps, our English uses, " Words differently " ..

Have a nice weekend !!

I must confess to being a bit of a sauce fanatic. Creating a good sauce is undoubtedly my favourite part of cooking. I tend to favour cream based sauces - mustard, cheese (usually blue), mushroom, herbs etc. Also stock based sauces, meat or fish, fruit (with game or lamb). A good sauce doesn't have to be complicated - a decent blue cheese crumbled into warmed cream with a dash of chicken stock will transform any steak, chicken or pork dish. It does help to have a well stocked store cupboard to enhance the the tweeking process. Assorted stocks (liquid where possible), mustards, vinegars (wine, cider, balsamic), herbs, unami flavours.

I must confess to being a bit of a sauce fanatic. Creating a good sauce is undoubtedly my favourite part of cooking. I tend to favour cream based sauces - mustard, cheese (usually blue), mushroom, herbs etc. Also stock based sauces, meat or fish, fruit (with game or lamb). A good sauce doesn't have to be complicated - a decent blue cheese crumbled into warmed cream with a dash of chicken stock will transform any steak, chicken or pork dish. It does help to have a well stocked store cupboard to enhance the the tweeking process. Assorted stocks (liquid where possible), mustards, vinegars (wine, cider, balsamic), herbs, unami flavours.

Your sauces sound very nice indeed. My hubby like creamy sauces too. Perhaps you should post some sauce recipes?

Your sauces sound very nice indeed. My hubby like creamy sauces too. Perhaps you should post some sauce recipes?
When I have time - maybe next week! For now, try this one: White wine and basil sauce for fish. Sweat down a finely chopped shallot in butter. Add equal volume of sweet white wine and good fish stock. Reduce by half, add thick cream and fresh basil. Season to taste. Use Greek basil if you can get it - the smaller leaves can go in whole. You can tinker with the quantities to adjust the strength of the sauce - milder goes well with delicate fish like sole, or stronger works with more robust fish like hake. It is divine!

There are three sauces I use regularly:

Tomato sauce, usually on pasta, home made, the simpler the better.
White sauce, and variations thereof - usually cheese sometimes with the addition of an egg and mustard, or (slightly less often) a béchamel sauce.
And of course a good old-fashioned British brown sauce - can't beat it in an egg and bacon sarnie.

Last night I made a hot cream and mustard sauce to go on my roast cabbage. It was rather moreish, and I think I shall be making that more often.

I love sauces. Most of my sauces are butter based. We have access to and eat a lot of fish and seafood. I like Beurre Blanc, Piccata or a simple lemon butter sauce with fish. Soft shell, blue point crabs with a Piccata sauce are to die for.

Basil or dill mayonnaise. When I have fresh tomatoes from my garden I love a 'mater sandwich with basil mayo. Home made mayo - really easy to make or a good quality store bought mayo as a base.. Basil and dill are my favorites but any fresh, soft herb works.

A pat of compound butter on a perfectly cooked steak.

Of course Hollandaise - Eggs Benedict and with vegetables - pan grilled asparagus or Brussel's sprouts are two of our favorites.

Sauce Mornay - specifically Gruyere - over pan grilled or oven roasted veggies and veggie casseroles.

Cream sauces

Pesto - as a dip, on a sandwich, as a pasta sauce or salad dressing.

George has lots of dietary restrictions so I am having to rethink sauces and get inventive. Butter and rich cream or even blonde roux based sauces are not on his meal plan. When he transitioned from pureed food to soft food he asked for my crispy skin salmon. I usually serve it with a lemon butter sauce. HMMM? I made a Dijon ginger sauce instead. Yummy.

I roasted several heads of garlic over the weekend. Time to experiment with roasted garlic sauces. Fresh herbs are in my garden year round. My herbs are in pots. The annual herbs are moved under the patio cover during winter. Before annual herbs bolt I start new plants from seed. Herb sauces are another option.

I really enjoy playing with my food.

Good topic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom