What's your food heaven/food hell?

Foodie14

Veteran
Local time
11:02 AM
I saw this on a general cooking/foodie Saturday morning tv show, and it was interesting to see what the guests on the show were choosing as their favorite, or worst nightmare dish. Anything from liver to tomato soup, and banana cake to Christmas pudding - there was a wide range of likes and dislikes running through the series.

My food heaven would have to be lemon meringue pie - I can't get enough of it! But my food hell would definitely be gazpacho - yuk!! I don't see the point of eating cold soup.

What's yours?

My food Heaven would be sweet and sour chicken. If I could eat it every day, all day I would. My food Hell would be Chitterlings. I personally cannot see how people eat pig intestines. GROSS!!

My food heaven when it comes to dessert would definitely be cheesecake and ice cream. When it comes to savoury dishes, my food heaven would be potato salad with fried fish or fried chicken. I cannot really think of a food right now that I do not eat, but once I had soup offered to me by a family friend, and it was the saltiest soup I had ever tasted. I could taste more salt than soup. Not wanting to offend the friend, my family and I decided to drink the soup anyway as it was given to us in good faith, but we forced it down all the way as the friend was right there with us observing us eat it. (ha!ha!ha). That is what I would call an instance of food hell.

My food heaven would be endless Chinese food / Japanese food and I can eat as much as I want without getting fat. Food hell would be all seafood because I hate the smell and taste of most of them. Fish is the only exception but even then I'd still be a bit picky.

All great answers so far! I'm certainly with you on the sweet and sour chicken, Japanese food, and cheesecake - I could eat cheesecake forever. I definitely would not want pig's intestines, or salt soup either! :eek:

What about changes in your likes/dislikes change as you got older? I never used to like pork or ham, but now I can't get enough of the stuff - has to be smoked ham for me though.

My food hell used to be anything spicy, but then when I was a kid my mother got a job in Jakarta, Indonesia. They put extra-spicy chili peppers in almost everything! So, I was basically in hell until I got used to it.

Funny thing is, now that I don't live there anymore, I sometimes get cravings for a little spice...

Oh, but my heaven is pasta. The sauces change with my moods, but I can seriously have just pasta boiled in saltwater without any sort of real sauce.

I love everything spicy, Ellyn! I even like chocolate with chilli in it, and last night I made my first spicy cup of cocoa with chilli.

I've never thought about Indonesian cuisine; if it's really that spicy, I know I will love it. Whenever I go out for curries with friends, they are always amazed at my ability to tolerate heat at the highest possible level.

Pasts is a favorite of mine too, although I don't have many good sauces in my repertoire. I have started to make my own pasta though, but rolling it out in the machine is a bit of a challenge. My husband will often eat a bowl of pasta with a little butter and herbs, and nothing else - he loves it.

I know the program you mean. My food hell would have to be brains. I say this without ever trying them. I just can't bear the thought of it. My food heaven is more difficult. It would have to be between duck, lamb and goat's cheese. A combination of all three might not be so good!

Back
Top Bottom