What's Your Preferred Milk Variety?

I'm so happy.....I've found a new farm who have just started delivering to our area - we get our first delivery on Tuesday:hyper:

We've been managing with organic non-homogenised milk from the supermarket since the raw milk farm closed down, and its ok but nowhere near as good or fresh as milk directly from the farm. The new place is certified organic, bottles on the farm and then delivers twice a week in returnable glass bottles.

I'm so happy.....I've found a new farm who have just started delivering to our area - we get our first delivery on Tuesday:hyper:

We've been managing with organic non-homogenised milk from the supermarket since the raw milk farm closed down, and its ok but nowhere near as good or fresh as milk directly from the farm. The new place is certified organic, bottles on the farm and then delivers twice a week in returnable glass bottles.
It must be nice to get non-homogenized milk. We in Canada can only dream of that prospect.

I rarely use milk, but when I do, it's Dos Equis...oh sorry, wrong commercial. Seriously, if I use milk it's always whole milk. I love half and half and real cream and I keep that on hand.

It must be nice to get non-homogenized milk. We in Canada can only dream of that prospect.
Standard milk is always homogenised here too, but non-homogenised is usually available in larger supermarkets. The only problem I have with non-homogenised milk is when hubby is the one to open the next bottle....he sometimes "forgets" to shake it and then steals all the cream off the top :rolleyes:

My maternal great grandfather was a dairy farmer in New Jersey. He had a big farm outside of town, and a dairy in town. My grandfather worked for him. Alas, the farm is now a sprawling housing subdivision. I believe the building that housed the dairy is still around, but it is not a dairy anymore.

I was fortunate enough to know my great grandfather. He died when I was about ten years old. He wore a suit and tie every day, even out at the farm.

CD

Same memories of my great grandfather etc. Suit and fob watch everyday. Retired self employed plumber.

Russ

While I agree that cooking is best with "whole" items, I am not a fan of fat content. Cheese, yes. Once in a while I will use skim Ricotta and Mozzarella for lasagna. Not the same. My family only drinks 1% milk. I use it in cooking and while things may come out more watery, we deal with it. We drink milk and use it for cereal and coffee. The rare times it is not available, I will buy 2%. I will not cook anything that requires half and half, heavy cream, etc. I know my family is probably missing a lot but that's just me (I detest mayonnaise too but love butter). We also guzzle Almond Milk for protein shakes, by itself and in coffee.

Milk: I only buy whole milk (which is about 3.5% fat - so many people mistake "whole milk" to be something like 100%!!!). I'm with WIndigo on the fats being replaced with sugars on the lower fat milks. Shakes head.

I can tolerate and use 2% when out, but 1% and skim (0%) are simply bad excuses for water.

The higher the fat content of your milk, the longer it will last.

I really don't buy it often anymore since I've finally entrained myself NOT to use milk in my coffee any longer - I now drink that black unless it is really bitter sludgy coffee. Since I don't make really bitter sludgy coffee at home, I only buy it for specific recipes. Basically, when I knew I was retiring, I made a conscious effort to go black - to have a whole carton of milk in my fridge almost always meant at least half of it would turn bad before I could finish it! (So I usually had gotten my coffee at work, using THEIR milk!)

Whole milk will have longer lasting power in the fridge than the lesser-fat varieties. I think I needed condensed milk for a recipe all of once - it's actually too sweet to really enjoy, but it can work in some recipes. I never use powdered milk (and hated it when on road trips the only choice at a few fast food dives was powdered creamer for my coffee.)

Non dairy milks:

* Coconut milk - not for any regular milk usage. Only for doing Thai or similar recipes. Used from those cans geared for Thai cuisine cooking.
* Oat milk - ONLY unsweetened, and I have to search out for the thicker, creamier brands.
* The rest: ACCCKKKK! No thank you! Watery stuff that may as well have as much potency and usefulness as that 1%.

Back in Connecticut I was able to get organic non-homogenized milk at my farmer's Market. It was lovely! And I could get them in the sizes small enough that I'd not be tossing the extra gone bad.

I may try stopping by their farm next time I'm down that way, which may even be later this month.

Have others ever tried non-pasteurized milk? Here in the States there are all sorts of differing rules about the sale of it - can or cannot purchase... I have yet to try it. Back in Connecticut you could buy it direct from farmers, but the only ones local to me were only selling it in gallon sizes. Even if I like it... that's a lot of waste!

Yes, you can freeze milk - but I really don't want to take up freezer space with that much milk!!!

Have others ever tried non-pasteurized milk? Here in the States there are all sorts of differing rules about the sale of it - can or cannot purchase... I have yet to try it. Back in Connecticut you could buy it direct from farmers, but the only ones local to me were only selling it in gallon sizes. Even if I like it... that's a lot of waste!
Non pasteurised milk is called raw milk here. The herds need to be regularly tested for TB and they can only sell the milk raw after a certain number of clear tests.

Until a few weeks ago we bought raw milk direct from a lovely farm which had a vending machine that dispensed it in either 1 or 2 litre measures (bring your own bottles). Sadly for us they have moved on to a new farm and I've not managed to find an alternative raw milk supplier yet 😞

Raw milk here is very hard to get, and there are lots of rules and regulations about how it can be distributed to the public. Personally, I don't care to risk getting sick, so I have no interest in buying non-pasteurized milk.

CD

Non pasteurised milk is called raw milk here. The herds need to be regularly tested for TB and they can only sell the milk raw after a certain number of clear tests.
Yes, it is also called raw milk here, too. Interchangeable. The states that do allow the sale almost always have standards that need to be met.

What is interesting was visiting a Trader Joe's a few years back, and on one of their shelves was a carton of ULTRAPASTURIZED goat milk. All over bulging with whatever pathogens had decided to release their poisons from within. I shuddered and moved on - didn't buy a single milk product that day!

Back
Top Bottom