When Food Attacks!

Not even in a bottle?:eek:
To answer any questions about what Craig means:

wildturkey101a_360x.jpg

No turkeys were harmed in the making of this rotgut.

Well, fortunately the bruising has gone down from the latest event, but the rooster who runs my harem of egg layers likes to attack.

When I let them out to free range, when I come back down to send them back in the coop and run (yes, you have to do that overnight - we have owls and foxes around here who just luv chicken...), he will often try to attack me. He's pecked through my blue jeans and drawn blood.

He hadn't been attacking me IN the run or coop until last weekend. Fortunately he flew up and got deflected on a finger, which only sustained a bruise rather than a true injury.

He's a beautiful rooster (silver laced Wyandotte), but he's also riding his harem harder and harder (there are 9 hens, so he shouldn't need to be that greedy). I'm afraid he's scheduled to be posted as Coq au Vin someday in the near future. I just have to get a good net available and a compatriot to help me. Yesterday I saw him pulling feathers off of one of his ladies - so yeah, sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Since I have two bum knees, I do have a hiking stick, and I've had to fend him off on more than one occasion - but that last weekend was the first time actually IN the run.

I think I need some of that Wild Turkey...

. I'm afraid he's scheduled to be posted as Coq au Vin someday in the near future. I just have to get a good net available and a compatriot to help me. Yesterday I saw him pulling feathers off of one of his ladies - so yeah, sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
The easy way to catch any chook (irrespective of sex) is to wait until a couple of hours after they have roosted and simply remove him from the perch. Sadly for males at least, this method is less effective first thing in the morning. The key is that it must be dark. Chooks will sleep through a lot, so everything that needs to be done, is done at night. But I don't tolerate roosters that attack humans. Any aggression towards humans is dealt with quickly I'm afraid. I wouldn't accept out from a dog, or cat so I won't accept it from a rooster (or hen for tthat matter). The one I have now is a gorgeous gold laced Wyandotte that I hand raised. He'll feed from my hand and let me pick him up. He's my cockerel (won't be a rooster until three new year when he's 1) because despite not being the most gorgeous, he's the most friendly.

The easy way to catch any chook (irrespective of sex) is to wait until a couple of hours after they have roosted and simply remove him from the perch. Sadly for males at least, this method is less effective first thing in the morning. The key is that it must be dark. Chooks will sleep through a lot, so everything that needs to be done, is done at night. But I don't tolerate roosters that attack humans. Any aggression towards humans is dealt with quickly I'm afraid. I wouldn't accept out from a dog, or cat so I won't accept it from a rooster (or hen for tthat matter). The one I have now is a gorgeous gold laced Wyandotte that I hand raised. He'll feed from my hand and let me pick him up. He's my cockerel (won't be a rooster until three new year when he's 1) because despite not being the most gorgeous, he's the most friendly.

Thanks. I'm usually abed well before then (in the summer, which it is here), but I'll do a trial run tonight or tomorrow just to see how they behave when I enter.

I agree about animals that attack. Once could mean an animal was startled, but if it is an intentional attack - not to be tolerated.

Back
Top Bottom