When healthy is transformed to unhealthy.

Local time
4:58 AM
I am not sure if that is what I just did with some whole grain pasta I just whipped up. Has this ever happened to you? You take all these healthy ingredients ( whole grain has mixed reviews) and by the time your are through adding all the different artificial herbs and spices you have created yourself a delicious unhealthy dish.

That happens to me most of the time. I usually chop up different veggies to make a quick stir fry when I am pressed for time and people need to eat but I find that after adding all the seasoning and condiments there are, the meal looses on being healthy!

The only reason why whole grain pasta is more healthful than regular pasta is because it contains more natural fiber. Whatever you add to it, that healthy element will not change.

I do eat a lot of wholegrains but I never buy the whole grain pasta because it's not authentic for Italian dishes. My pasta sauces contain natural ingredients which are also beneficial to health. Spices and herbs are good for health, so is tomato, onion and certain types of cooking oil. Cheese or cream are less beneficial ingredients, but adding a little does not necessarily transform a healthy meal to an unhealthy one.

For me I think it's the soy sauce I used that might have taken it out of the very healthy category. I have long heard of the high sodium content of soy sauce and it's only this morning that I got my glasses out and read the fine print. It was shocking what I saw. Foodf4thought also spoke of pasta sauces with natural ingredients and none of what I used was natural. The only other fresh veg besides my onions was broccoli. I believe we do take a lot of the healthy stuff and mix it with some of the less healthy things to accomplish a taste. I think that's what I have been doing a lot and I need to address it.

Ingredients are only ever unhealthy if you have too much of them. For example, think of the countries that use a lot of soy sauce - China and Japan, and how they are generally famous for longevity. If soy itself was unhealthy, they wouldn't have such long lives. The soy is balanced by everything else.

A diet of just wholewheat pasta would be very dull (apart from lacking in a lot of necessary nutrients). We have to balance it with tasty stuff!

It's cooking method that is more likely to make a food unhealthy, rather than other ingredients. Anything deep fried is going to be worse than the same thing steamed, or baked or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom