When to carve turkey?

simsybloke

Local time
8:54 AM
Folks,
My first post... thanks for reading it...
Circumstances this year means I am cooking Christmas dinner turkey on Christmas eve, then taking it over to my sisters for the main meal with family.
I'm ok with the cooking, but not sure about when to carve it....

Should I carve it "warm" as if we were having it on Christmas eve, let it cool and transport the cold carved turkey the next day
or
Let it cool, carve it, and transport the carved turkey the next day,
or
Transport the whole cooked turkey and carve it, cold, in situ.

I think we're all happy to eat the meat cold, and not re-heat the meat... everything else will be hot!

Thanks in advance for any opinions,
Regards
Simsy!

(In case it make a difference, it's a "Copas" free range turkey... I've ordered one from the butcher aiming for 4.5kg... no more than 5kg, so it's on the small end of things!)

Reactions: mjd
A very good question. My instinct says transport the whole turkey and carve it in situ. If you carve it beforehand I think the slices will start to dry out. So I think the best bet is to keep the turkey whole.

The Copas free range turkey should be good!

How far are you transporting it? Do you have one of those "Big Blue Roasting Pans?"

If it is a short distance. Get it in that big Roasting Pan and transport it hot. If you need to use a Foil Pan, Underly it with something strong like a cutting board and carefully transport. Drive slowly and avoid hard braking.

I would carve in situ as that is best. That means getting the bird to the other site while it is hot.

If you are going long distance, then carving it up and potting it before moving it is likely a better option.

How far are you transporting it? Do you have one of those "Big Blue Roasting Pans?"

I'm not sure a UK member will understand what this is. I think it must be a US reference?

It seems that simsybloke is cooking the turkey on the day before he is transporting it so that it won't be possible to keep it warm. Otherwise I'd agree that transporting it and keeping it warm is the best option.

I'm not sure a UK member will understand what this is. I think it must be a US reference?

It seems that simsybloke is cooking the turkey on the day before he is transporting it so that it won't be possible to keep it warm. Otherwise I'd agree that transporting it and keeping it warm is the best option.

A Big Blue Roasting Pan is just a large oval shaped metal pan with lid and handles at each long end for roasting things in the oven. It is a memory actually, as it is what my Mom had many years ago. It is not particularly an American thing.

Big Blue Roasting Pan

A Big Blue Roasting Pan is just a large oval shaped metal pan with lid and handles at each long end for roasting things in the oven. It is a memory actually, as it is what my Mom had many years ago. It is not particularly an American thing.

Big Blue Roasting Pan

I understand. Probably not many will have such a pan here in the UK. Well, I don't at any rate. I may be wrong!

Welcome. I have always carved it beforehand but that's because my mini-van had an outlet in it. I could keep things warm in transit. In your situation, I think it's best to transport it whole and carve at destination. It will be easy to reheat for individual plates.

I understand. Probably not many will have such a pan here in the UK. Well, I don't at any rate. I may be wrong!

I am really fascinated that they are still manufacturing and selling "Big Blue Roasting Pans" and calling them that. I found that example web link by googling for "Big Blue Roasting Pan."

Thanks all... Turkey needs to be cooked on Christmas Eve... Will be started at 9:00AM... I need to drive an hour into Central London, to pick up parents, then another hour to the other side of London to my sister's... And I'm taking other food that will be cooked on arrival.... Keeping the turkey warn just isn't a realistic proposition!.. I am tending towards carving in situ.
Thanks for all the thoughts. It really helps.
Regards,
Simsy

Thanks all... Turkey needs to be cooked on Christmas Eve... Will be started at 9:00AM... I need to drive an hour into Central London, to pick up parents, then another hour to the other side of London to my sister's... And I'm taking other food that will be cooked on arrival.... Keeping the turkey warn just isn't a realistic proposition!.. I am tending towards carving in situ.
Thanks for all the thoughts. It really helps.
Regards,
Simsy
To keep things simple, and achieve the best result, why not carve it the day before then put it in a large ovenproof dish and cover with gravy. This can be transported cold, then put into a warm oven on Christmas Day to provide hot and moist turkey. You really don't need to suffer it cold!

To keep things simple, and achieve the best result, why not carve it the day before then put it in a large ovenproof dish and cover with gravy. This can be transported cold, then put into a warm oven on Christmas Day to provide hot and moist turkey. You really don't need to suffer it cold!

Good point.

Thanks for all your input...
The change in Covid rules for my area put all plans asunder anyway...

Her's what I did...
Collected it on the morning of 23rd, and cooked it that day.... and made proper gravy.
"Vaguely" carved it, by carving off the breasts and taking off the legs and wings... These were then distributed later that day, with gravy given to all parties...
On Christmas day our portion was heated up in the gravy... It was lovely!

Thanks again for all the thoughts.
here's to a better 2021!

Regards,

Simsy

We get a turkey roast roll with stuffing. It's essentially two breasts sandwhiches with stuffing between,then string Criss cross wrap.cook two hrs,then carve. Was perfect.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom