When You Can't Use Salt...

Kate

Veteran
Local time
12:51 AM
If someone you cook for is on a salt restricted diet (for hypertension or some other medical reason) what kinds of spices or herbs do you use for substitution?

I know it's very difficult with so many packaged foods being so heavy on the sodium... even if someone doesn't eat packaged food per se, a lot of separate cooking ingredients have way too much sodium.

I'm curious as to what
separate cooking ingredients have way too much sodium
because in this household, none have extra salt/sodium added.

If you cook from raw ingredients, avoid tinned beans in brine or tinned anything in water, salt & sugar etc and restrict the amount of meat or fish (often very salty) there is no reason why salt can not be added for flavouring - just add it last or better still leave it to the people eating the dish to add what they want as they eat it. Even people with high blood pressure still need salt in their diet - I'm one of them.

In the UK we can often get tinned beans in water (only) with no added salt. If you can't, then simply get the dehydrated ones and just put them in to soak before you go to bed the night before. It takes very little extra time and they soak whilst you sleep. I then drain and cook them whilst I am having breakfast and then usually then only need something like an extra 30 mins after breakfast to finish cooking. Keep the water they have cooked in as a stock substitute - you never added salt to it prior to cooking and it is now bean flavoured and still salt free...

I'm curious as to what because in this household, none have extra salt/sodium added.

I was referring to things like chicken stock when I don't make my own (I often do), tomato sauces for cooking... most cheese, things like that. I never add extra salt to anything but so many things that recipes call for simply have too much sodium.

This can be tricky. I'm not on a salt-restricted diet personally, but on occasion I've tried eating lower sodium just to see what it would be like (I don't each much sodium to begin with since I cook for myself most of the time, but I wanted to try going even lower sodium). I wasn't very pleased with the "Mrs. Dash" blends, after trying out several varieties. They all tasted "stale" to me as if I could have made a more flavorful blend myself by raiding my spice cabinet. In addition, I didn't care for the harsh flavors - many of them crank up the black pepper and acidic levels to compensate for the lack of salt, but they wind up tasting harsh and bitter.

One of my favorite things to do would be to cook with fresh mushrooms, and low sodium/salt-free crushed tomatoes. Both have chemical compounds similar to MSG (i know, i know - but they're natural), which give a "meaty" taste that helps fill in for the lack of sodium. Also, I try to play up some of the natural sweetness of ingredients, fresh basil, tomatoes, bell peppers, corn and such. Salt free butter also adds some decadence.

As for chicken stock, perhaps up the veggies, and add a little tomato paste to it for some additional depth of flavor. You could also roast the garlic before adding it to the stock.

Thank you for the great ideas, OhioTom76. I will try some of them. I've noticed that even the "lower sodium" stocks and broths are very salty-tasting. I don't cook with enough whole chicken to make my own broth... but I really wish there would be healthier options when it comes to things like that.

The only time there's not too much sodium in my tomato-based products is when I grow my own tomatoes and I haven't done that for a while now.

When I worked as a chef I used salt in everything. At home I do not put salt in anything. The reason for this is that I have four children and salt is dangerous for babies and younger children. Everything is home cooked and we all eat the same food at the same time. I am not running a cafe where people get to put separate orders in. Even the baby just eats a diced up version of what everyone else is eating. My partner can add salt later if he wants. The food is not tasteless though. I use ground black pepper in most things I cook. Basil, garlic or oregano are added to any Mediterranean style dishes I make and I have a whole cupboard for of dried herbs and spices to add to anything else. With things like stews/ casseroles, the vegetables often take on the flavor of the meat and meats have a natural salt content. We don't eat processed food usually but if you are concerned about tinned products, just choose the ones with oil or water instead of brine.

Back
Top Bottom