When You Want a Vegetarian or Vegan Meal, What Veggies Do You Find Most Satiating?

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
8:29 PM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
Aside from any grains or pseudo-grains, here. What veggies of limited starchiness satiates you?

For me, I can eat any amount of eggplant and feel totally satiated. Other veggies that fill me up are okra, winter squash, sweet potatoes, and artichokes. The latter because it takes me so long to eat them leaf by leaf that I'm satiated when done.

How about the rest of you?

Jerusalem artichokes are good if you can get them (as well as globe artichokes as noted above). Beans of all sorts - or are they too starchy?

Also, turnips, swede, Brussels sprout, cabbage, asparagus. Parsnips are good too.

Aside from any grains or pseudo-grains, here. What veggies of limited starchiness satiates you?

For me, I can eat any amount of eggplant and feel totally satiated. Other veggies that fill me up are okra, winter squash, sweet potatoes, and artichokes. The latter because it takes me so long to eat them leaf by leaf that I'm satiated when done.

How about the rest of you?

Broccoli, Cauliflower (its leaves too used for a fulfilling soup) Courgette, Cabbage and Savoy Cabbage (these latters even more when stuffed), jacket potato. Aubergine is my fave veggie ever, you can make lots of combos. Garden peas, stuffed onions and mushrooms.

PS, one reason I ask this is that I want to have more options for my vegetarian friends when they come to visit. I know many of those I know are distressed going to gatherings or even weddings where the choice for them is just pasta and salad.
We noticed this in so many weddings! "For you entrée, we have a beautiful selection of steak, chicken, duck, fish...oh, you're vegetarian? Here, have this eggplant dish at the bottom of the menu."

PS, one reason I ask this is that I want to have more options for my vegetarian friends when they come to visit. I know many of those I know are distressed going to gatherings or even weddings where the choice for them is just pasta and salad.

There is a side-dish I often made for my vegetarian friends (although I make it for us too even if we are not vegetarians) which is spinach (about a kilo) with toasted pine nuts and raisins. May sound weird but it’s very good.

I do vegetarian samosas which are my kids faves, they prefer over beef samosas.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom