Where did you grow up?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:38 AM
Where was the region, city, town or village where you grew up? Or perhaps you moved around so much there was no one place. I grew up in Portsmouth which is a Naval port in Southern UK.

When I was 5 we moved from a pre-fab (post-war temporary accommodation) to a newly built council house on the outskirts of Portsmouth. It was rather small - 2 bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen, small living room but had a large garden, so my Dad grew vegetables. It also backed onto Farlington marshes, now a nature reserve, where I roamed as a kid. That was the good part as it was like being in the country. The downside was the lack of things to do as a teenager...

What were the good and not so good things about where you grew up?

I haven't ..and don't care to! :)
Too many responsibilities! :wink:

Grew up in Southern Alberta actually..was bored as a kid..but now miss a lot of the freedoms we used to have.
100CC motorcycle and car learners licence at 14 years old, bug & weed killer at any hardware store, obtain any chemical you could possibly name from the drug store..
Perhaps dangerous..but definitely dislike our new "nanny state"..
Government now prefers children to stay at home,.. and not think... mesmerized with their electronic displays..
/end b*tch

Barcelona close to Passeo Maritimo ( The Beach ) and still live here, and during the summers in Cadaquès, Gerona on the northern Costa Brava.

Close means a short walk ..

Last edited:
Woodhouse in Leeds; back-to-back terrace house. My father died when I was 11 so we didn't have much money. We had a car though.

7 beulah grove.jpg

Went to junior school here:

quarry mount.jpg

Last edited:
Of my then Immediate family (excluding maternal grandmother), I'm the only one born in south Florida. The rest were born in Maryland. I spent (as a young child) a 4-1/2 year stint in Maryland. The rest of my childhood and teen years were spent in south Florida. I grew up hunting, fishing, camping and diving. Most of my career has been in either the commercial or recreational diving industry. Commercial diving led me to Louisiana, where I fell in love with Creole and particularly Cajun cuisine.

Commercial diving led me to Louisiana, where I fell in love with Creole and particularly Cajun cuisine.

I think from everything I know about American food which is admittedly probably not a lot, my place of choice to visit would be Louisiana - except that I can't deal with heat... chilli heat yes, hot sun no!

The only thing I know associated with Maryland is Maryland Cookies (a British biscuit!) which I doubt has any origin in Maryland. But this is good for my geography - I now know where Maryland is.

Maryland, especially the eastern shore, is noted for seafood. Steamed blue crab, shrimp, rockfish (striped bass), crab cakes, soft shell crab and oysters from the Chesepeake Bay. Other noted foods are pit beef and large pickled onions. Pony penning day is also popular on Chincoteague Island.

http://www.chincoteague.com/ponies.html

Maryland, especially the eastern shore, is noted for seafood. Steamed blue crab, shrimp, rockfish (striped bass), crab cakes, soft shell crab and oysters from the Chesepeake Bay. Other noted foods are pit beef and large pickled onions. Pony penning day is also popular on Chincoteague Island.

http://www.chincoteague.com/ponies.html

OK - I'd like to visit Maryland too! And how did you know I liked horses? I didn't know that there were wild ponies in America. We have semi wild New Forest ponies in the UK. And then of course there are the beautiful wild horses of the Camargue in France.

OK - I'd like to visit Maryland too! And how did you know I liked horses? I didn't know that there were wild ponies in America. We have semi wild New Forest ponies in the UK. And then of course there are the beautiful wild horses of the Camargue in France.

There are also wild mustangs out in the west, which have no protections from being euthanized. :devil:

I grew up in Ypsilanti, Michigan. Its about 30 miles west of Detroit. Two weeks after I graduated I joined the USAF. I served five years and traveled around a bit. I lived in North Dakota for a few years. I spent a year in Kunsan, S. Korea and a little bit of time in Panama in 88.

My wife is from Pennsylvania. We met in the service. After I got out we moved to a really small town, St. Mary's PA. We lived there for two years. The job market sucked. We moved back to Michigan were we've been since 94.

My job history is pretty much Police/Correctional work/Security

Back
Top Bottom