Which Cacao is best

Amateur1

Local time
4:30 AM
I've seen both of these products which are 100% cacao.
The first has 21g of fat including 13.2g of saturate fat. It also has 14.5g including 0.3g of sugar.
The second has9.5g of fat including 6.1g of saturated fat. It also has 29g of carbohydrates including 1.5g of sugar.
The first has slightly more fibre and protein.

How can two products with 100% cacao have such a different nutritional profile in terms of fat and carbohydrates?
Which is better to use or is it just a matter of personal preference?

https://foodthoughts.co.uk/product/organic-cacao-powder/
Cacao Powder - ORGANIC - Superfoodies

Different growing conditions and different varieties of cocoa bean create/have different nutritional profiles. Each is processed (within the definition of raw that means under 42°C, but they are still processed) differently. It is entirely possible that one has simply had more fat extracted from the powder that the other has had.

As for which is best, I can only say you need to go with what tastes best to you. There is no point whatsoever in eating the one you don't actually prefer. It's the old low fat high sugar yoghurt quandary my mother always went through. She thought low fat yoghurt was better for her when all she was doing was replacing that fat with sugar. My personal preference was to eat less of what I enjoyed instead and I can only suggest that you work on that principle. Try both and see which you prefer.

Fat content is simply the amount of residual cocoa butter left in a cocoa powder. Powders, I'm not particularly picky on which ones we use but the higher fat powders will have a smoother mouthfeel which might be a better product for ice cream for example but in a cake batter it's probably a moot point.

200 years ago, the best cacao in the world came from Venezuela (and as far as I´m concerned, still does - but then I´m biased:happy::happy::happy:).
These days, cacao grows all over the world, with cheaper, less aromatic versions appearing in Africa and Indonesia, and there are hundreds of cacao powders out there in the market.
I´d just suggest you go with whichever one takes your fancy. Trying to determine which is better, has more fat, more protein,whatever, could keep you busy for the next 30 years...

Look for Franceschi Chocolates or Willie Harcourt-Cruze.
The variants of Venezuelan cacao are Choroní, Carenero, Criollo, Canoabo, Rio Caribe, Sur del Lago.. and probably a lot more.
the Franceschi family are personal friends of mine - we used to play squash together :D :D

Back
Top Bottom