Which Is Bigger/Better Celebrated Where You Are?

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
12:35 PM
24th December, Christmas Eve
25th December, Christmas Day
26th December, St. Stevens' Day/Boxing Day.
OR
The Twelve Days.

And is Womens Christmas celebrated anywhere these days?

I would say actually the biggest here in Japan is New Years. Christmas isn't an "official" celebration here although it still does get celebrated - but it's more a day for couples, I would say! Exchanging gifts and so forth.

Without looking it up, does anyone else know when Womens Christmas is then?

1st January in Japan, is it known by any other name, other than New Years Day?

In our family we have 3 birthdays and 3 holidays in 30 days so it gets to be a bit much, we all sort of take the 30th as a day to just rest.

When I lived in Eritrea, we had two Christmas Days. We had the 25th December holiday, but we also had the Coptic Church's Christmas Day, which falls on January 7th. I believe that this is the same as the Orthodox Church. We also had a holiday for Epiphany.

While this sounds like a riot of holidays, it's not always the case. If a particular holiday falls on a Sunday, there's no having the Monday off. It's just tough luck.,

Christmas Day here! We go to my daughter's house in the morning for a Christmas breakfast and to watch my grand daughter open her presents and then they all come back to my house for a big family dinner and get together.

Where I live, Christmas is the day that has the biggest celebration. There are some people, however, who have Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve and they also open their gifts on that night. I also know of some who have family gatherings on Boxing Day, the 26th December. However, Christmas Day is the main day for most people to have family gatherings with lunch or dinner, and the opening of gifts is also done on Christmas morning or Christmas night. Going to church on Christmas morning or to midnight mass, is also very popular here.

Xmas day is pretty big here. People go all out and do a lot of shopping. They start putting up lights right after Thanksgiving too.

The Chinese New Year is celebrated with a lot of fireworks, lion dances, bright lights and the color red all over Singapore, Hong Kong and other Asian countries. We bring out moon cakes to share and in general just have a great time. We also offer some food and money to shrines and give money to young ones for luck and prosperity.

Back
Top Bottom