Which is the best cake from your country? I need help to pick 2 cakes to bake for a celebration.

CoffeeTalk

Veteran
Local time
4:55 AM
Yes, here is the deal, I am making 2 cakes for a special celebration of an international group of people.
So what are the favorite cake in your part of the world?
This is an international community, with people from all over the world from Korea to Kazakhstan, from Greenland to Polynesia, so what type of cake you like might be different.
But I think one of the is going to be a chocolate cake, that caters to many regions, but what about the other?
Sweet and sticky , soft and fruity, creamy and fluffy?
Name your best cake , that does not take more than 2 days to make.
Please help me. Pointing to a recipe here in the Forum is a big help .

Decoration will be on or next to the cake.

Other than chocolate cake you see carrot cake at events. There should be a good receipe here on the forum, it takes a little work but it is worth it.

Victoria Sponge Cake is a very easy and traditional UK cake.

Otherwise I would consider scones! served with cream and jam. Very easy to make and take less than 12 minutes to cook, but need to be cooked on the day. Less than 30 mins to make and bake in total... allow to cool and then cut in half, serve with butter, cream and strawberry jam

Victoria Sponge Cake is a very easy and traditional UK cake.

Otherwise I would consider scones! served with cream and jam. Very easy to make and take less than 12 minutes to cook, but need to be cooked on the day. Less than 30 mins to make and bake in total... allow to cool and then cut in half, serve with butter, cream and strawberry jam

Good choices SNSSO.

Well, I'm an avid lover of pound cakes - most types, so I'd have to say that it's the pound cake that is very popular here in the USA, especially in the South!
They are very well known for making pound cakes there.

And most of the time, it is the pound cake that I usually make. I mainly like pound cake because it is usually simple to make and only 6 ingredients are needed to do it!!!:wink:

In England the top choice for weddings, birthdays, Christmas, Easter and other special occasions is a rich moist fruit cake. Dried fruit can be pre-soaked in brandy, rum or water. A mixture of nutmeg, cinnamon and other spices is usually added to the dry ingredients. After baking the cake can be covered in marzipan (sweet almond paste) and icing.

Just keep it coming!
Hmm I never even gave any though to scones or even the Victoria Sponge Cake. Must go talk to the rest of the crew in charge to find out what to make.
But how about Eastern Europe and Russia ? Chocolate or sponge there too?

Here in the Netherlands, special occasions are often celebrated with "vlaai", a tart from the Limburg region (south of the country), although probably originally from Germany. They are sometimes filled with fruit, I had a plum one recently, but there are also rice filled versions and ones with crumble topping. Yum!!

vlaai300.jpg

Back
Top Bottom