Which 'new' things do you wash before using?

:ohmy: We really differ on this topic. No way am I going to start washing new socks or any other new clothes. Stroking a pet (even if hands are washed afterwards) is going to produce much more of a hygiene issue than wearing new clothes. And I've probably said this before, but its surprising how many people will happily let their cat walk across a kitchen surface. Given that if I came into their kitchen, climbed onto their kitchen surface and walked over it in boots that I had been wearing outside or been treading in a cat litter tray, they would be horrified, I find this extraordinary. My sister falls into this category.

Mind you, with all this hand washing obsession due to corona virus in the UK we could all end up as 'germophobes'.

Can't help thinking we already are germophobes, detergents are sold as 'killing x y z' germs, we don't build up an immune to them so they make us sick, I am not including the corona virus because it is a whole different kettle of fish.

Love you TastyReuben
You sarcasm and whit always makes me laugh.
I did not need Corona to convince me to wash my hands properly and frequently. I have always been a hand washer - especially when handling food. Also keeping cutting boards and knives clean and not cross contaminated.

I must say, this might be my favorite topic on this entire site. :)

Love you TastyReuben
You sarcasm and whit always makes me laugh.
I did not need Corona to convince me to wash my hands properly and frequently. I have always been a hand washer - especially when handling food. Also keeping cutting boards and knives clean and not cross contaminated.

Sarcasm? I thought he was being serious :unsure:

:wink:

Widening the discussion - I rarely wash anything new before use. New plates? I might dust them off but I wouldn't bother to wash. Same with saucepans etc. I'm still here to tell the tale...

I do pre-wash new plates, pots, pans and utensils. Metal items are especially vulnerable to manufacturing oils/lubricants. Anything made in China may have anything on it. Period.

I prewash some clothes, but mostly for comfort, or if they smell like the factory. New bed linens are stiff, and new towels don't absorb water.

I don't automatically pre-was stuff, but if I see a reason with this or that, I do it.

CD

Last edited:
Here is another question for folk who wash new clothes and other fabrics: what do you do if you buy something which is dry clean only? Surely if you take it to a dry cleaner for cleaning it will become 'soiled' by others touching it? I'm being devil's advocate...

Also - and maybe we have covered this, it must be very difficult sleeping in hotel beds knowing other people have touched the sheets.

I own very few suits and dressy jackets, which are dry clean only. I get them from quality men's clothiers/tailors. They fit the suits to my body and dry clean and press before I take delivery. That's just how professions do things.

CD

Alton Brown would say you are believing an old kitchen myth. If your shrooms come from a reliable source, a little dirt won't hurt you. But, rinsing shrooms doesn't ruin them.

CD

I've heard both sides of this but you are probably correct - though its surprising the number of Chefs on TV who say never wash them. I think with some delicate types of mushrooms it might be more of an issue to wash them.

I've heard both sides of this but you are probably correct - though its surprising the number of Chefs on TV who say never wash them. I think with some delicate types of mushrooms it might be more of an issue to wash them.

They probably say that because it is what they were taught, and whoever taught them was taught.

CD

Back
Top Bottom