Which spices don't you have?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:23 AM
I've got a huge collection of spices but there are, I'm sure, some that are missing. For example, I've recently discovered achiote (thanks to @CraigC). I wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't seen it on this forum.

So, I suppose you might not know what you are missing - but perhaps there are some spices you have never tried? Have a think!

Last edited:
Celery seed.

I know where to get it at a cheap price. Most supermarkets want too much just for a small teeny jar!! :mad:

Celery seed? We can get it in the bulk stores..I don't use it much though...sometimes in cole slaw...
Latest spices?
Epazote! ..brought some dried back from Mexico..for beans & other dishes.
Supposedly better fresh..will try to grow some this spring.
Also brought back a bunch of "Tajin"
..a kind of condiment used on anything from a beer cocktail (michelada).. to sprinkled on apples, jicama, etc.

Not sure what that is? Ok you say on beer cocktail (this also confuses me!). Is it a seed?

I think The Late Night Gourmet posted a picture of a bottle. It is a spice mix that is really good on fruit, with lime being at the forefront.

Although I don't like them, here is a recipe for michelada. It will give you an idea of what is in one.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/michelada-recipe6-2112050

@Masticator , there is a local market that caters to the Hispanic cultures (mainly Mexico and central America) which carries fresh epazote. I get most of my dried chilis there.

Last edited:
....how many of you have sumac in the spice cupboard? :whistling:
I've got sumac! I've had to rearrange my spice drawers because the number of jars and packets is increasing rapidly. I bought some dill recently as a lot of my recipes seem to include it and I've always left it out.

Not exactly a spice :D, but I managed to get hold of some pomegranate molasses when I went to our nearest Argos in Sainsbury's the other day. I couldn't find any on the shelves and had to ask. They had two bottles left. Apparently they are not going to stock it any more as there is no call for it.

....how many of you have sumac in the spice cupboard? :whistling:
I was just about to write that this is one thing I don't have...yet!

@Masticator , there is a local market that caters to the Hispanic cultures (mainly Mexico and central America) which carries fresh epazote. I get most of my dried chilis there.

...and it looks like I need to pick up some epazote and achiote, too. I've never seen fresh epazote, though I know there are markets in Mexican Town that would have the dried variety.

thai-water-beetle-maeng-da.jpg

Bht 7.00 (21 cents) each or 3 for Bht 20.00 (60 cents).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom