Which Sweetener do you prefer?

isabbbela

Veteran
Local time
4:30 PM
I know not everyone is a fan of sweeteners. People complain they are either bad for your health, taste bad or leave a bad after taste.
As my family has many fat and obese people, it has always been a habit among us to drink diet sodas and put sweeteners in our coffee and such, so I have been used to using sweeteners instead of sugar for ever!
When I was young, I remember using Saccarin. However to me Saccarin is not good because it leaves a terrible aftertaste. So the sweetener we usually use back at home is Aspartame. I know people give Aspartame a hard time when it comes to health concerns, but they do that with every sweetener, so to be honest I don't mind those. If the health risks were that bad, would they allow Aspartame to be included on diet foods and drinks as widely? I don't think so....
I have lately been using a lot of Sucralose. I love it. It's a bit more expensive than Aspartame sweeteners but tastes more like sugar than any other. It also barely leaves an aftertaste.
I have tried Stevia and I find that I really dislike it. I think it makes drinks taste bad, so even if it's allegedly healthier I'll stick to Aspartame and Sucralose.

Do you have a habit of using sweeteners? Which one do you prefer?

Does honey count as a sweetener? I mean, it's not exactly a sugar...right?

Otherwise, though, I just go straight for sugar: cane sugar, beet sugar, palm sugar, refined or unrefined. Syrups and nectars are good too. I think I even once ordered French toast at this really rustic place and asked for something sweet to top it and they gave me a bottle of corn syrup (which is now said to be very bad and awful for your health and basically a poison)--and I liked it.

Stevia is probably the most nasty stuff I have ever tried. It is truly horrible stuff and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I use silverspoon half spoon. It is the best i have ever tried and I can't tell the differance berween it and real sugar. I hate the saccharin type sweetners. I can always taste the saccharin.

I just stick to sugar or honey. I'd rather have the real deal instead of an artificial sweetener. Both of these are natural products and taste so much better than any sweetener I've ever encountered.

I am using artificial sweeteners more now that I have read so much about sugar being bad as well. I do prefer the more natural sugar, but since I am working on losing weight and diabetes runs in my family, I am working very hard at getting sugar out of my diet. As well as white carbs.

I absolutely never use artificial sweeteners, sugar is the way to go for me. I have lots of friends who use Splenda and Sweet-n-Low, I tried them once but they ,made me feel not too great so I stick with sugar and try everything in moderation. Sometimes I use honey or agave syrup as a sweetener when it is appropriate but most times I just use sugar.

I personally like Sweet n Low. It is not that sweet when baking with it. I like it better than regular sugar.

I use it sometimes when I want to cut down on my sugar intake, although not really that often because I still prefer the more natural alternative. I don't have any favorite brands and I usually just go for which one is the cheapest. They are alright but sugar still tastes a lot better to me.

Back
Top Bottom