Which way do you make cheese on toast?

Do you toast both side of the bread when making cheese on toast or just one?

• Total voters

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
12:53 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
And I guess this is specifically cheese on toast, though Yorky may say otherwise because of a discussion about his recent burger...

Now obviously being married I have seen this from 2 families.
  • My family always toasted both sides of the bread and then put the cheese on and melted it
  • But my husband's family, only toasted 1 side of the bread, and then put the cheese on the untoasted side after they had put butter on.
My family didn't do the butter thing, my mother was a fat is bad and skimmed this that and the other health freak and yes, did every 80's diet fad there was. But my Grannie would always butter under the cheese before melting it as well. Somehow it always tasted better. But there was a marked difference between toasting just one side of the bread and both. Hubby or my MIL couldn't claim size of family - both were 2 adults and 4 children so equal size.

So, which do you do
toast both sides or just the one?

Last edited by a moderator:
I always initially only toast one side. The reason being is that if the side with the cheese on is pre-toasted then it is being re-toasted during the melting of the cheese which could lead to slight burning of the exposed edges of the bread.

Also, I tend to spread butter or Meadowlea on the un-toasted side before adding the cheese.

This with sliced raw onion............

Around these parts, it was just called "cheese toast," and was popular in the 1980s. I haven't had it in years. I made it with slices of a really crusty bread, like a French baguette. I toasted it in a pan with butter, and put a slice of cheese on it, usually cheddar, and finished it under the broiler.

CD

As I child I seem to remember only one side being toasted, but now I toast both sides because its quicker: I stick the bread in the toaster whilst I slice or grate the cheese and get the grill up to temperature. Speed is often of the essence as I quite often have cheese on toast for lunch when I've only got a few minutes between calls.

If I remember next time I'll do one slice toasted both sides and one only toasted on one side and see which I prefer :happy:

And then there is the question of what else is added. I love some Worcestershire sauce, or chilli flakes plus herbs.

I toast one side, turn upside down then heat for 20 secs. Then I take it and put a layer of tomato relish on it the slices of Swiss cheese. While all this is happening I have bacon cooking next to the toast. Put toast back in and grill/ broil til it's just melted, then add cooked bacon and raw onion, lots of salt and pepper. This is one of about 3 things I add salt to. Grill until it's cooked. I may make one shortly now you got me thinking. Here's one of my last ones.

Russ

And then there is the question of what else is added. I love some Worcestershire sauce, or chilli flakes plus herbs.

Back when I had a huge net-covered vegetable garden, I like slices of fresh-off-the-vine tomatoes on cheese toast and grilled cheese sandwiches. A tomato garden without netting around here is called a bird feeder. :headshake:

CD

Back when I had a huge net-covered vegetable garden, I like slices of fresh-off-the-vine tomatoes on cheese toast and grilled cheese sandwiches. A tomato garden without netting around here is called a bird feeder. :headshake:

CD
Or straight from vine to mouth, with a pinch of salt. :)

Russ

It's not really a tradition in my country to have open faced cheese toast, we usually take two slices of bread, stuff cheese and/or other fillings between them, butter the outside and then put it in a toastie grill.
That looks like this:

My favorite toastie is one with mozzarella, red pesto and basil.

It's not really a tradition in my country to have open faced cheese toast, we usually take two slices of bread, stuff cheese and/or other fillings between them, butter the outside and then put it in a toastie grill.
That looks like this:
View attachment 32977

My favorite toastie is one with mozzarella, red pesto and basil.

That is a grilled cheese sandwich or toasted cheese sandwich in Merca. As a kid, we cooked them in a cast iron skillet with something heavy on top to flatten it out. Today, I use a Cuisinart Griddler, which is basically a panini press. Same basic result.

Also as a kid, it was white bread with American cheese. "Artisan" grilled cheese sandwiches are all the rage these days, with every kind of bread and cheese being used.

CD

Also as a kid, it was white bread with American cheese. "Artisan" grilled cheese sandwiches are all the rage these days, with every kind of bread and cheese being used.

Its the same here in that when I was a kid we simply had white bread - and often the ready sliced packet type like your 'Wonderloaf'. Now there are all kinds of "artisan' bread on sale even in the value supermarkets. As far as I recall, the sandwich toaster didn't really appear here until the 70's but it certainly caught on. In fact I'm now tempted to order one...

Back
Top Bottom