Whitebait patties/fritters

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
5:44 PM
In nz we get whitebait coming from the sea to swim upstream to breed and leave eggs. They get caught in nets by people on the river edge. They are a delicacy here selling for up to $120kg ( approx $50 lb) I have a function here for about 40 of our friends to celebrate the nz trotting cup tomorrow. I just made 1.5 kg into patties. I believe nz has about 15 types of whitebait. The Maori name is in inunga. Mixture is
.5 kg bait
4 eggs
Bunch of chopped mint.

Fry in a pan.

Egg to show size proportions.

I had to do a search on Whitebait. I'd never heard of it. Apparently, it is heavily protected by regulations, and heavily taxed. as they are somewhat endangered. Seems they are in decline in part from non-fishing related human activities. Interesting.

CD

I had to do a search on Whitebait. I'd never heard of it. Apparently, it is heavily protected by regulations, and heavily taxed. as they are somewhat endangered. Seems they are in decline in part from non-fishing related human activities. Interesting.

CD

Yeah only a 3? Month period for fishing, there's a huge black market and cash swaps hands worth millions. I never paid for mine, I do swaps.

Russ

That is expensive fish! Are they always made into patties ? How are cleaned - a basic hog dress?

That is expensive fish! Are they always made into patties ? How are cleaned - a basic hog dress?

They are caught and frozen straight away, only cleaning is twigs etc that may be in nets. Thawed then cooked whole. No crunchy taste, just sweet delicate flavours from the sea. They were all eaten rather quickly.

Russ

Sounds yummy and something I would love to try - of course, I need to make it to NZ first 😉. Thanks for posting - always enjoy hearing other's experiences with food especially the wild caught!

There are some people who just dust them in flour and fry for a few seconds. I don't know anyone that cooks like that. Some add flour to make it go further, I don't, I cook the way west coasters cook them, as above. We got 30 kgs for people and friends we know. I was the middle man and my cut was 2 kgs. My bait comes from paringa, supposedly the best bait available. I wouldn't eat bait from our rivers, too much pollution!!

Russ

There are some people who just dust them in flour and fry for a few seconds. I don't know anyone that cooks like that. Some add flour to make it go further, I don't, I cook the way west coasters cook them, as above. We got 30 kgs for people and friends we know. I was the middle man and my cut was 2 kgs. My bait comes from paringa, supposedly the best bait available. I wouldn't eat bait from our rivers, too much pollution!!

Russ

Isn't pollution why they have become so scarce? I think that's what I read. That kind of goes against my pre-conceptions of New Zealand.

CD

Isn't pollution why they have become so scarce? I think that's what I read. That kind of goes against my pre-conceptions of New Zealand.

CD

I thought it was over fishing - they are the baby fish so if too many get eaten...

I may be wrong. We used to see deep fried whitebait a lot in the UK - on Pub menus, for example but its seldom seen these days. I need to do some research.

CD

The west coast generally is pristine and a beautiful part of the country,I'm on the east coast and our rivers since the earthquakes have a lot going on, we advertise as clean and green. It's a bit of a misnomer as dairy effluent leaking into our water ways is a huge thing here. Farmers are working on it with replanting marshlands etc. what we used to swim in as kids would give you infections now. It might sound bad but they have been getting better. The west coast I know like the back of my hand as I used to sell my products there to the gold mining companies. The drive from Westport to greymouth is one of the best drives in the world, punakaiki is famous for the pancake rocks. The west coast recently had a disaster with floods opening an old rubbish dump from years ago. The army were called in to clear it and make it pristine again for tourists. That was at fox glacier. You can giggle those places I've mentioned, they are amazing. I've travelled all around nz. I know my country. I'm sure you would love it here. Akaroa is another great spot to visit, an hour from me.

Russ

I thought it was over fishing - they are the baby fish so if too many get eaten...

I may be wrong. We used to see deep fried whitebait a lot in the UK - on Pub menus, for example but its seldom seen these days. I need to do some research.

I got a bit ot above but they possibly are overfished as they are a cash commodity, that's why there's no fishing certain months. Around 60 to 70? Years ago they were so plentiful people used to dig them into their gardens as fertiliser. I kid you not!! Like everything that starts as by product they invariably become a delicacy. I believe the sensible thing to do is shorten the season even a bit more.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom