Who Has a Rotary Cheese Grater?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
8:22 AM
This is a bit different from a regular long flat cheese grater there's a crank handle on it which you spin a rotary grater. Bought it from Whole Foods. I though that this would be good to use at the table to put grated fresh cheese on things like pasta, Chicken parm, Veal parm or the like. It can also be used when you're baking, for grating chocolate & nuts! It kind of concentrates whatever you're grating into a small area, instead of all over the place. :whistling:

Last edited:
The rotary grater can be unscrewed from the handle & the whole thing can be washed by hand in hot soapy water! :whistling:

I had a few drinks and bought a 100 dollar German one off of Amazon one evening while cooking dinner with friends..It worked great for about a year and then one day it broke. I tried to get a replacement but the website would not accept English and couldn't fiugure out how to send a message in German...I grated a lot of hard cheese like Parmesan and Romano with it so I guess it finally gave up....Now, I'm back to the old classic box grater...It really was a good grater, but I'm not paying that much for another one..

I've thought about getting one several times, but I'm not sure what else I could grate with it...chocolate, maybe, but I don't grate a lot of chocolate.

I had a few drinks and bought a 100 dollar German one off of Amazon one evening while cooking dinner with friends..It worked great for about a year and then one day it broke. I tried to get a replacement but the website would not accept English and couldn't fiugure out how to send a message in German...I grated a lot of hard cheese like Parmesan and Romano with it so I guess it finally gave up....Now, I'm back to the old classic box grater...It really was a good grater, but I'm not paying that much for another one..

WOW!! You paid $100 for it? I'd have left it!! I only paid about $18 for the one that I got today. If I get up to a year's worth of use out of it & it breaks, no love lost. :whistling:

I've thought about getting one several times, but I'm not sure what else I could grate with it...chocolate, maybe, but I don't grate a lot of chocolate.

I think it is only for doing small amounts of stuff. For any amount larger than that, you'd probably need the powerful muscle of a food processor for that amount of stuff!! You can also get grated cheese in a jar at your supermarket. :whistling:

WOW!! You paid $100 for it? I'd have left it!! I only paid about $18 for the one that I got today. If I get up to a year's worth of use out of it & it breaks, no love lost. :whistling:
It was pretty good, worked really well, had a few different grating drums and was easy to disassemble and went in the dishwasher..I was happy with it until it broke...

Whoa! I had one of those years ago, didn't like it, and ended up giving it away!
It grated better than any other I ever owned..the handle had a plastic thread on the attatching end and it stripped away..I can be hard on things...I'm always breaking and wearing stuff out..comes with the territory, I guess..
I bought it from a company called The Bay..but they wouldn't honor the warranty and I had a hell of a time trying to navigate the manufacturer's website in German..I gave up..

I bought a cheap china made one for $14 recently which I threw away after about 3 uses. Whenever I grated with it, there would be metal from the surfaces in contact between the drum and holder which would end up in the cheese. Utter crap.

I then bought a Leifheit one (similar to the one you have Shermie) which works great. I use it mainly for grinding parmesan and pecorino which I find extremely tiring to do on a regular box grater for large amounts.

This is a bit different from a regular long flat cheese grater there's a crank handle on it which you spin a rotary grater. Bought it from Whole Foods. I though that this would be good to use at the table to put grated fresh cheese on things like pasta, Chicken parm, Veal parm or the like. It can also be used when you're baking, for grating chocolate & nuts! It kind of concentrates whatever you're grating into a small area, instead of all over the place. :whistling: View attachment 63087
I've seen these, but never had any idea what they were!

Thanks, next time I run into one, I think I'll purchase!

What is that little thingy on the bottom, part of a suction cup system or something?
Yeah..It stuck pretty good and stayed put on the island but didn't work well on the counter because the finish wasn't smooth enough..

Back
Top Bottom