Who has a Smoker?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
6:47 PM
Stove Kettle Smoker..jpg
001.JPG

I have the Nordicware Stovetop Kettle Smoker!

It is the next best thing to smoking meats outdoors, whereas some people have a much bigger smoker designed to smoke a bunch of meat all at once!

It produces a nicely mild odor throughout the kitchen, as the meat cooks! I like it!! It makes very delectable smoked babyback ribs, fish, steaks and poultry!!

This looks good! Not too big either. I was going to get a bit all singing all dancing outdoor smoker and BBQ, but then I thought it might be just a bit too much for my needs. But this looks like a good choice. What put me off indoor smokers before was the threat of an overpowering smell, or even actual smoke. However, you say the aroma is subtle so that's a plus point.

I'll definitely research this model further. Thank you. :)

You welcome, Foodie14!

Yeah, it only releases a pleasant mild odor - one that makes you too ridiculously anxious to taste the finished product that is being smoked! The Smokey odor coming from it is never overbearing at all!

I was NEVER able to physically smoke meat before getting this baby! I've used the liquid smoke, which I still keep on hand. The Stovetop Kettle Smoker likes to do its job very well!!

Try BB&B for one. That is where I got mine from! :wink:

You welcome, Foodie14!

Yeah, it only releases a pleasant mild odor - one that makes you too ridiculously anxious to taste the finished product that is being smoked! The Smokey odor coming from it is never overbearing at all!

I was NEVER able to physically smoke meat before getting this baby! I've used the liquid smoke, which I still keep on hand. The Stovetop Kettle Smoker likes to do its job very well!!

Try BB&B for one. That is where I got mine from! :wink:

Thanks for that, Shermie. :) I think this would be a much better option than the massive outdoor thing I was thinking of buying! As I'm in the UK I will be getting this from Amazon, as we don't have a BB&B, sadly.

I'm glad you've reminded me of liquid smoke - is that stuff any good? I've never tried it, but I've read mixed reviews about it. I'm always eager to give something a go, but if liquid smoke is going to be on the synthetic-tasting side, then I'd rather give it a miss, if you know what I mean. :wink:

Thanks for that, Shermie. :) I think this would be a much better option than the massive outdoor thing I was thinking of buying! As I'm in the UK I will be getting this from Amazon, as we don't have a BB&B, sadly.

I'm glad you've reminded me of liquid smoke - is that stuff any good? I've never tried it, but I've read mixed reviews about it. I'm always eager to give something a go, but if liquid smoke is going to be on the synthetic-tasting side, then I'd rather give it a miss, if you know what I mean. :wink:

Thanks!

Ted Allen who hosts Chopped on the Food Network, used to host Food Detectives, and in an ep of that show, there was a debate as to whether liquid smoke did as good a job as BBQ'ing & smoking meat outdoors. There was a taste test challenge.

The results were that the liquid smoke does just as good a job. So yes, don't get rid of it if you get it. Keep it on hand. Just don't use too much of it on your food, because if that happens, your food may end up tasting like medicine!! Good luck though! Try tweaking it to see how it works best for you. :wink:

I was going to get an electric pressure smoker, but when I read reviews on that particular brand, I found out that most people were dissatisfied with it.
So I did more research online, and during that research, that is when I came across the Stovetop Kettle Smoker!

Been lovin' it ever since the first try!!!:wink:

This is the first time I've ever seen a model like this. So is this meant to cook the meat from start to finish? Or do you cook the meat first, then throw it in here for a few minutes to "smoke" it? The only stove top smokers I had seen in the past, were little stainless steel trays that you threw a few wood chips in on one end, and your small pieces of cooked meat, such as a salmon filet or a pork chop, in the other end to smoke for a little bit. They had a long metal wire handle and a sliding metal lid that went over them.

I've looked into ways of smoking indoors, including the electric pressure smokers, but was always concerned it would stink the heck out of my place. Living in an apartment, this becomes an even bigger issue, because in most of the places I've lived the kitchens didn't have any windows, so there was no way to circulate some fresh air.

There are a few models of outdoor electric smokers I've been looking into as well. One of them is by Char-Broil and it uses infra-red heat.

This is the first time I've ever seen a model like this. So is this meant to cook the meat from start to finish? Or do you cook the meat first, then throw it in here for a few minutes to "smoke" it? The only stove top smokers I had seen in the past, were little stainless steel trays that you threw a few wood chips in on one end, and your small pieces of cooked meat, such as a salmon filet or a pork chop, in the other end to smoke for a little bit. They had a long metal wire handle and a sliding metal lid that went over them.

I've looked into ways of smoking indoors, including the electric pressure smokers, but was always concerned it would stink the heck out of my place. Living in an apartment, this becomes an even bigger issue, because in most of the places I've lived the kitchens didn't have any windows, so there was no way to circulate some fresh air.

There are a few models of outdoor electric smokers I've been looking into as well. One of them is by Char-Broil and it uses infra-red heat.

The Stovetop Kettle Smoker cooks and smokes the meat from start to finish.

The wood chips are placed at the very bottom of the pot, an inner non-stick-coated pan is placed over that to catch any drippings from the meat being smoked and a non-stick-coated drainer plate sits on top around the rim, on which the meat, veggies or seafood is placed. The high-dome lid goes on top.

Yeah, I've seen Emeril Lagasse use on of those little stainless steel smokers on his show Emeril Live. And I once considered getting one of those, but thought that they were very limited because they were just too bloody small! Then when I first found out about the Stovetop Kettle Smoker, I quickly dismissed getting one of those little pea-brain smokers from my mind! :eek:

Last edited:
Omg!! I have been wanting to get an indoor smoker to cool turkey legs on but the thought of it really smelling my house killed that idea. If this little guy here doesn't let off a big smoke in the house, this very well may be just what I'm looking for. I will look into this as I've been wanting one for awhile now.

We do have one of those proper outside smokers at our summer house. I believe it's designed for fish and that's all we use it for, though I imagine other meats would come out great too as long as they would have enough time to cook properly.

Omg!! I have been wanting to get an indoor smoker to cool turkey legs on but the thought of it really smelling my house killed that idea. If this little guy here doesn't let off a big smoke in the house, this very well may be just what I'm looking for. I will look into this as I've been wanting one for awhile now.

Believe me when I say that this new-found kitchen miracle gives off a very mild flavor all throughout my kitchen, living room and bedroom (I live in a small apartment). I've never been more serious & thrilled about having the ability to pleasantly smoke meats indoors like a professional BBQ chef does with a big monster smoker a BBQ restaurant!! I did NOT make a bad choice.

I've always LOVED eating BBQ'd meat since we all were kids, and our mom & dad, along with neighbors in our building always cooked out in the backyard!! I love going to a BBQ restaurant to sit down, order a meal featuring BBQ & enjoy it!! That is one of the simple pleasures in life!!

So now, when I can't get to a BBQ restaurant, It is so comforting to know that I can smoke meat, fish or veggies right at home, and still get that world-famous authentic smokey flavor that everyone craves at a BBQ!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom