Who has a Souffle Dish?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
4:44 AM
I just ordered this souffle dish in Orange because I want to get into making souffles now & then. Who else has one? I haven't made one in God knows how long!! But I think that it's also called a ramekin. :whistling:
Souffle dish in Orange..jpg

Last edited:
Ramekins are small dishes, holding around 1 cup +/- 1/4 cup. They can also be used for individual souffles, as well as individual custard dessert dishes, holders for small amounts of food like olives, nuts, etc.

Souffle dishes are much larger and hold souffles meant for more than 1 person. They also make great casserole dishes.

They both are the same design, just different in capacity.

I’ve never been into soufflé but have so many ramekins it’s embarrassing. At least eight, sometimes twenty of every size I’ve every seen.

I can’t even say hand on heart that if I saw a slightly different shape or size now I wouldn’t buy them :shy:
The four little ones pictured above & the regular one that I just received at a friend's house are all I need. :whistling:

Last edited:
I have a dedicated soufflé Pyrex bowl handed down to me from my Grannie's collection.
I have dozens and dozen of ramekins in a variety of sizes. They are really useful for gathering together herbs or spice ready to put all of the ones that go together into the pan at the same time. Or for cracking an egg into, or holding half a lemon or lime, or.... we use ramekins for anything and everything in our house, not very often for what they were intended for though.

The four little ones pictured above & the regular one that I just received at a friend's house are all I need. :whistling:
I note the use of the word ‘need’ and know the conversation is over 😂🤣😂🤣

I use them for all sorts.
If you cook for more than four you automatically need more than four, then there’s the capacity and shape. Different foods dip better into different shape ramekins so that opens up a world of ‘needed’ ramekins all on its own before you even start cooking in them 😆

I've seen Julia Child make souffles. She would line the upper part of the dish with aluminum foil & secure it with toothpicks so that the souffle wouldn't run over in the oven or in the fridge. :whistling:

Last edited:
That's called making a collar and is used to give the souffle something to cling to so it can rise higher. That's the main function of a collar, with not running over and making a mess being a secondary effect.

I do have a "regulation" full sized Soufflé dish in my outdoor pantry, but rarely use it any more.
I finally bought 4 individual sized ramekins that I use for Soufflés and other things that everyone else has already mentioned.
Cream Cheese and Chive Souffle.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

I use :
Jacques Pépin's Cream Cheese Soufflé recipe ... dead simple!
HMMMM!
I have all of the ingredients on hand ... this is a delicious dish. Parred with a Salad and this is a great lunch/ light supper.

Back
Top Bottom