JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
6:20 PM
[Mod.edit: This and following few posts moved to form a new topic (MG)]

The most revolting vege Ever!!

Russ
No, okra and sweet potatoes. Yuk.

I'm gonna go eat some kale and I'll think about you...

Last edited by a moderator:
No, okra and sweet potatoes. Yuk.

I'm gonna go eat some kale and I'll think about you...
I learned to like Okra when a "soul food" restaurant opened up back home, long ago.
She made Deep Fried Okra and it was divine!
Also, my SIL made us her version of a quick Gumbo made with frozen cut Okra.
And don't get me started on Sweet Potato Fries, OOH! YUM!:hungry: Very crisp please.
<edit> Wait! Baked Sweet Potato drowning in butter and a sprinkle of Cinnamon, or Sweet Potato Pie ...

I learned to like Okra when a "soul food" restaurant opened up back home, long ago.
She made Deep Fried Okra and it was divine!
Also, my SIL made us her version of a quick Gumbo made with frozen cut Okra.
And don't get me started on Sweet Potato Fries, OOH! YUM!:hungry: Very crisp please.
<edit> Wait! Baked Sweet Potato drowning in butter and a sprinkle of Cinnamon, or Sweet Potato Pie ...
Well the world would be a very boring place if everyone liked the same things. And I know I am the odd one, out of the 6 kids and 2 parents in my family, I was the only one that didn't like either of those things. I was raised in the south so I have had okra every way you can think of (that a southerner would prepare it). I picked it out of my Cajun uncle (who married my mom's sister) Buster's gumbo when he made it, and my SE Texas grandmother made the best fried okra in town (according to everyone else) but I hated it. My husband loves sweet potatoes fries and gets them when we go out to a restaurant, but I won't buy or cook sweet potatoes (or yams) to prepare for him in any way, shape, or form.

Okra, IMHO, needs to be fried briefly before cooking. That way it´s not slimy. (But that´s another thread!)
Stir-fried kale, on the other hand, with abundant garlic, chiles and a touch of asafoetida, is divine.

Deep fried okra: As long as the okra isn't cut into 1/4 inch slivers and coated with so much batter you can't find this delicious vegetable. I'd rather have the slime! I use either whole or halved okra for deep frying, should I choose that method of cooking. (Maybe I'll third the individual okra, if exceptionally long.)

When I make chicken fried steak, I have to make mashed potatoes and fried okra for the sides. I also use okra in my gumbo, but I put it in earlier than most recipes call for, so the slime cooks out (and thickens the broth).

CD

When I make chicken fried steak, I have to make mashed potatoes and fried okra for the sides. I also use okra in my gumbo, but I put it in earlier than most recipes call for, so the slime cooks out (and thickens the broth).

CD
Don't invite me to dinner when you make chicken fried steak unless you promise you will make me something else on the side, like maybe some green peas. I know I can count on you not to serve cooked carrots!

I cannot say that I particularly like okra nor go out of my way to eat it but I've prepared "bhindi bhaji" on a few occasions because okra was available. Removing the "oil" was always a problem for me.

My introduction to Okra involves slime lol.
In Jamaica, Okra is used predominantly in 2 dishes: Pepperpot Soup and Steamed Fish. Pepper Pot Soup is basically a "spinach" soup, made with our local version of spinach (called Callaloo) and Okra; so the soup has a bit of that funny slimy texture that people don't like. Similarly, Jamaican steamed fish has fish that has been covered in sauteed Okra and the whole dish is allowed to cook in its own steam, resulting in a flavorful, but moist, dish.

I didn't know about the joys of deep-fried Okra until I moved to USA!

The only vegetable I truly don't like.. Slimey and I won't say what the taste reminds me of. If I ever end up down south in the USA I promise to give it a try where people know how to prepare it but here.. nooo thanks.

the old southern way of cooking okra is fading into history , its a way to fry okra thats not deep fried but rather pan fried
its not slimy at all ( if ) its done right , tastes much better than the deep fried version , but there is almost an art to cooking it properly and it seems the younger generations don't have the time or interest to learn

Back
Top Bottom