Who still does Old-fashioned cooking?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
3:42 PM
In this world of modern conveniences, such as appliances, gadgets, & other things, who still likes & does old-fashioned cooking? The pic below shows old gadgets that probably came out long before the world of modern conveniences, such as the mixer, food processor, air fryer & others. Do any of you still like to do old-fashioned cooking? If you do, what is it like? I remember getting my very first apartment & having to start from scratch with cooking. It wasn't easy without these things to make it easy. This is all that some people had in the kitchen. :unsure:
Old Fashioned Cooking..jpg

Maybe you would be surprised but I don't use many modern gadgets except for a stick blender and a slow cooker. I don't even possess a mixer. I do use the microwave quite a bit though. Before I had a stick blender I used a food mouli to puree stuff - and this still has its place because unlike blenders, it can filter out fibrous material.

Please don't think the lack of modern gadgets is because I'm 'old school'. I've owned all manner of gadgets before. I just find life simpler without them.

I use timesavers when they, well…save me time/effort, so I’m not opposed to them at all, it’s just usually the simpler things are faster for the small amounts that I’m dealing with.

Today was an exception - I needed to julienne a kohlrabi, and I didn’t reach for my knife, but my mandoline, and had it done in about a minute.

Maybe a mandoline is old-fashioned, as I think they’ve been around in one form or another for quite a long time, and they don’t plug in.

I didn’t even consider the food processor, though I would have if I had needed a lot of kohlrabi.

Maybe a mandoline is old-fashioned, as I think they’ve been around in one form or another for quite a long time, and they don’t plug in.

Oh yes. I don't think a mandoline is a modern invention. I have a julienne cutter 'mandoline' for creating thin strips. Is that what you used?

Maybe you would be surprised but I don't use many modern gadgets except for a stick blender and a slow cooker. I don't even possess a mixer. I do use the microwave quite a bit though. Before I had a stick blender I used a food mouli to puree stuff - and this still has its place because unlike blenders, it can filter out fibrous material.

Please don't think the lack of modern gadgets is because I'm 'old school'. I've owned all manner of gadgets before. I just find life simpler without them.

That is where my Vitamix blender comes in. It spins the blade so fast that all that stringy matter & tough fibers are quickly pulverized to a pulp. I DO have a stand mixer for baking rolls, cakes, cookies & such. I. also, have a stick blender & a hand-held mixer. Also, I have the Ninja Foodi that features pressure cooking & an air fryer. And I now have a CHAMBER vacuum sealer, which puts those external sealing units to bed. :whistling:

Last edited:
Wevac Chamber Vacuum Food Sealer..jpg

This was the last electric appliance that I bought. A Wevac chamber vacuum Sealer. It works far more superior than the external seal units & pretty much guarantees a good seal for things stored in the fridge or in the freezer!!!! It's a great machine for those of you who would like to get into chamber vacuum sealing of foods, but don't want to pay a ridiculously high price for one!! It is probably the lowest-price one that I've seen so far. And it works & vacuum seals just like the more expensive machines do!! :whistling:

Last edited:
Today was an exception - I needed to julienne a kohlrabi, and I didn’t reach for my knife, but my mandoline, and had it done in about a minute.

I use a mandolin whenever I feel it's been too long since I have experienced extreme pain.

CD

I use my cast iron pans regularly. That's old fashioned, right?

I do use my stand mixer and stick blender occasionally and my food processor and crockpot fairly regularly, too. But nothing as much as my cast iron, which i use almost every day.

I use my cast iron pans regularly. That's old fashioned, right?

I do use my stand mixer and stick blender occasionally and my food processor and crockpot fairly regularly, too. But nothing as much as my cast iron, which i use almost every day.

Right!! :whistling:

JAS_OH1, I really don't have anything that's old, except for the cast iron cookware also. But I've always wanted a Keurig coffee maker!! I'd see that others have one. I wanted a big one, but instead, I found THIS one on Amazon. They used to have a smaller single-cup size where it had to be filled with water every time that you wanted to use it, but that one was so annoying!! I didn't want it, but when I saw THIS ONE, i wanted it because it has 3 cup sizes & the tank is large enough that it only has to be refilled from time to time!! I really love it!! :whistling:
Keurig Coffee Maker..jpg

JAS_OH1, I really don't have anything that's old, except for the cast iron cookware also. But I've always wanted a Keurig coffee maker!! I'd see that others have one. I wanted a big one, but instead, I found THIS one on Amazon. They used to have a smaller single-cup size where it had to be filled with water every time that you wanted to use it, but that one was so annoying!! I didn't want it, but when I saw THIS ONE, i wanted it because it has 3 cup sizes & the tank is large enough that it only has to be refilled from time to time!! I really love it!! :whistling:
View attachment 100183
I have one of those in my pantry. I used to do promotional work for Keurig and also for iCoffee. I have to admit I like my iCoffee machine better and that's why the Keurig is in my pantry. I have the refillable pods for both since the pods that go in them are not made of recycleable materials. That really bothers me.

I think the Keurig is a good machine, but like I said, I like my iCoffee machine better. I have had it for about 10 years and it's still going strong. If it bites the dust the Keurig will come out of the pantry and take it's place on the counter.

I have one of those in my pantry. I used to do promotional work for Keurig and also for iCoffee. I have to admit I like my iCoffee machine better and that's why the Keurig is in my pantry. I have the refillable pods for both since the pods that go in them are not made of recycleable materials. That really bothers me.

I think the Keurig is a good machine, but like I said, I like my iCoffee machine better. I have had it for about 10 years and it's still going strong. If it bites the dust the Keurig will come out of the pantry and take it's place on the counter.
I have a Mr. Coffee coffee maker that's in one of the closets I used to make about 1/3 pot of coffee & would end up dumping it because I couldn't drink it all! Now with the k-cup pods, only one gets used for an 8-oz mug of coffee. Once used, it gets tossed in the trash. No more wasted coffee!! :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom