Who uses Agave Nectar?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
10:01 PM
I picked up some of this the other day from my neighborhood supermarket. It comes in a small bottle. It is a bit on the expensive side.

But I thought that I'd get it to use in recipes that call for it. It looks almost the color of honey, but it is a lot thinner than honey is. It can also be used to sweeten green smoothies a little. :wink:

Last edited:
I use both dark and light versions of agave nectar as we call it here. It is sold in the local supermarkets alongside honey and the likes and to be honest, is not that much more expensive that organic honey. I prefer the dark agave nectar - it has a touch more taste which I prefer. It sounds like you have the light version and it sounds like yours in much runnier than mine. It goes into all sorts of things, not just smoothies. I use in plain yoghurt to sweeten it slightly, often in the dark chocolate cashew nut cheesecake that I make that is dairy free as well. Right now however, my mind has gone completely blank as to where else I use it!

Agave.jpg

Here it is.
This one is made by Domino Sugar Co.. And yes, I DID see the darker one there as well.
Yeah, it CAN be used for other things. It tells you on the back label the things that you can put it in. I just want to try it, to see how it compares with honey. :wink:

it takes a bit of getting used to in recipes as it is so sweet,have used it in cocktails as it dissolves easily in cold liquids,i think the bottle i have originates from Mexico

Surprisingly, I've heard similar things about agave nectar in comparison to sugar or even honey from people I know who seem to prefer the latter. I don't find it to taste sweeter. Prefer the taste. Though there are people that find diet sodas sweeter than normal sodas as well so it seems to be based more on taste than fact.

Surprisingly, I've heard similar things about agave nectar in comparison to sugar or even honey from people I know who seem to prefer the latter. I don't find it to taste sweeter. Prefer the taste. Though there are people that find diet sodas sweeter than normal sodas as well so it seems to be based more on taste than fact.

Same here, I don't find it sweeter than honey either. I rather like the taste, but I definitely prefer the darker version.

Our advertising blurb is as follows - save me typing it all out..

This is for the dark one... the light one just says tastes like white sugar!

• Tastes and sweetens just like brown sugar
  • 100% natural
  • Made from 100% fruit; apples, grapes and carob
  • Only 13 calories per teaspoon
  • Use 25% less gram for gram
  • Low GI / GL - no energy highs and lows
  • Suitable for diabetics as part of a healthy diet
  • NO artificial colourings, flavourings or preservatives
  • Produced using a water process with no chemicals or enzymes used
  • GM & gluten free
  • Suitable for vegetarians and vegans
  • Made in UK
  • 16g of fructose per 100g (sugar is 50g, honey 40g, agave syrup 90g)
  • Branded products called 'fruit' sugars are made from sugar beet and are 100% processed fructose

dark_pack.jpg original_pack.jpg
They suggest or try to indicate that the light is for porridge and baking and the dark is for toast and pancakes! (if you click on each image you will see what I mean)

I find agave nectar to be quite expensive, but I just wanted to try it out and see for myself.
It is definitely more expensive than sugar! So if one were to use it in place of sugar - especially for cooking & baking, then be prepared to spend a fortune for it! :ohmy:

Listen to them, & you'll probably go stir crazy! They don't mention that diabetics whose pancreases don't produce enough insulin, need SOME sugar in their bodies to help sustain life!!
I'm a diabetic, & I need some sugar & starch, or a little bit of both, in my blood to make up for the amount of insulin that the pancreas is not producing enough of.

If & when my glucose level starts to get too low, and I begin going into a hypoglycemic attack, I have to do one of 2 things immediately! Drink something sweet like orange juice, soda or even sweet water, or eat some candy, which also has sugar in it. it helps to stabilize the glucose level and help return it to normal.

Yet people are so bloody quick to badmouth some of the things that are needed to help keep a person from dying! They need to stop it! :mad: :stop:

Last edited:
I have used this in the past. I think that its a good product. I enjoy using this to make lemonade but I don't really like the taste in terms of using it to make coolaid or to sweeten tea.
It taste better than sweet-n-low but its not as sweet as sugar. There is also a little bit of an after taste but overall its a great product for anyone wanting to cut back on sugar. I read on the label that the body does not absorb it like sugar so its great for diabetics.

I love agave nectar, but I've heard there are issues even with this, so it's important to make sure it is organic. I really enjoy the taste of it, and find it sweet enough for my drinks. I haven't used it in cooking yet, though. The price does keep me from buying it very often, but I enjoy it when I have it.

I love agave too. I use it in place of sugar or honey. I will substitute it in baking recipes or cooking recipes. I even use it on toast with peanut butter. It tastes excellent and I know it's better for me than sugar. It's great in tea as well. Agave nectar has a lower glycemic index, meaning that it has lower impact on blood sugar levels. Granulated sugar has a high glycemic index which why you get that spike then crash after eating something made with white refined sugar. Agave nectar has anti inflammatory properties as well as immune system boosting properties. So how can you go wrong. It is expensive but I buy it in two packs from Costco.

I love agave. I use it to sweeten my tea.
It seems to disolve more fully than honey ( not sitting on the bottom of your mug waiting to gag you with your last sip!)
I haven't used it for baking, but I'm thinking it would be a good choice.
It is a bit spendy so I usually grab a couple when I see them on sale.

I don't listen to every new report that comes in, because it seems first we hear reports of how wonderful a product is, then once people start using it, suddenly the naysayers arrive to the party. However, this is a good read, and it's fairly short, and discusses this doctor's opinion on agave nectar. I've read similar things before, and my response is to cut back on all sweeteners. http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA401166/Whats-Wrong-with-Agave-Nectar.html

Back
Top Bottom