Who Uses an Electric Stove to Cook With?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
9:45 AM
In my building, ALL of the apartments are all electric, which means that the stoves in every one are electric also. Other than plug-in appliances, who here uses an electric stove to cook with as the main source of cooking meals?

IDK about the other states, not sure, but in Massachusetts, most apts for the elderly have electric stoves for cooking. I think because gas stoves are much more dangerous then electric stoves. Be that as it may, they come in different formats such as regular & induction which is also at times, a smoothtop or ceramic top. I'd rather have a gas stove, but it is what it is! :stop:

Last edited:
All electric here as well. I'd prefer gas, had it at my last place but we're almost completely off grid here. in fact it's only electricity that we get. No phone line, no tv signal, no mains water, no mains sewage and certainly no mains gas, plus no sealed road/ tarmac. I guess you might be able to count satellite broadband as a service we receive though...

If it were my property, I'd have had bottled gas installed but it isn't so I can only dream. I do have a gas burner for use outside during the hotter months when it's too hot to cook indoors. Both the BBQ and the stove outside run off bottled gas.

My kitchen is all-electric. My own fault. I had the option to have gas run for my stove, but took my mom's advice and went with a ceramic cooktop. I have gas for heat and hot water, but it would be almost impossible ($$$$$) to run a line to my kitchen, now.

Induction is in my future.

CD

Electric in my house. And I absolutely hate and despise the damn thing, but that´s what there is and there´s no chance of ever changing it.

You probably can change it, but it might involve having expensive work done, such has putting in a gas line, then buying the gas stove, but who in the Sam Hill would want to go through all that trouble? I used to get comfused on the knobs for the burners & end up turning on the wrong one! Now I look to make sure that I'm using the right one, depending on where the pot or pan is on the stove. I live in an elderly housing development & if ever the stove, fridge, toilet , sink or bathtub needs to be replaced, it costs me nothing. The stove & toilet WERE replaced at no cost to me at all! Wear & tear. :whistling:

Gas stove, gas water heater. My oven is hybrid electric and gas. I use my electric air fryer/toaster oven quite a bit too, though.
I could kick myself, when we built this house, I really wanted a dual-fuel range, but didn't think it was possible and was stupid enough not to ask!
The house was built with both gas & electric capabilities and no one told us 😡
So my next range, if that happens will be both electric and gas, right now it's only gas.
I'd like electric oven and gas cooktop please.

I could kick myself, when we built this house, I really wanted a dual-fuel range, but didn't think it was possible and was stupid enough not to ask!
So my next range, if that happens will be both electric and gas, right now it's only gas.
Yes, and it cost quite a bit more to get the dual fuel, but I was insistent upon it. I earned it and I deserved it. I lived in the other side of this house before this addition was built and the teeny, tiny kitchen had a miserable old electric stove/oven and I hated it. And I raised 4 children cooking for them in that kitchen with a non-working dishwasher. Well I was the dishwasher. And that horrible oven/stove, oh I hated that thing so much. And the kitchen was so small that I had my pantry downstairs by the bar and everytime I wanted something that wasn't in one of the small and few cabinets upstairs I had to run down to get it, which was really bad when I had food cooking, because you know, when you turn off gas the heat is off, but not with electric, you have to move it completely off the burner or it keeps cooking (or burns). Sigh. My youngest was 14 when the addition was finished and I got my dream kitchen. It's now big enough to host large family dinners and I have great appliances. And my birds all flew the nest, figures!

Edited to add that one thing I wish I had asked for was an electric outlet on the end cabinet underneath at the "gathering spot" in my kitchen, which is about a 3.5W x 4.5L extension of granite to the right of my sink and dishwasher where we have barstools all around. Sure would make it handy to have an electric fondue pot or one of those raclette grills without having to use an extension cord!

Last edited:
My dream range

Wolf 30" Dual Fuel Range 4 Burner (DF30450/S/P) Cooktop

I would prefer that set up also. However, when we built there was little available in respect of electric ovens outside the capital and they were very expensive. We had to go to Bangkok to buy the gas hob and cookerhood. It's different now but too late to change without expensive modifications.

I didn't know that they made hybrid stoves. What's next?! A fridge that goes to the stores & picks up the food for you?!! I know, but don't give them any ideas! Hah!! 🤔

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom