Recipe Whole Lemon Muffins

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:35 PM
Muffins are easy to make because unusually in the baking world they demand a lumpy batter. So no creaming sugar and fat or beating. Everything is tipped into a bowl and loosely mixed. This recipe uses a whole lemon (minus pips) for a super zingy taste.

20170608_155803.jpg

Ingredients

1 egg
One whole lemon
4 tsp runny honey
4 tablespoons vegetable oil or equivalent amount of melted butter
200g strong bread flour (you can use plain flour)
80g caster sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pearl sugar to sprinkle (optional)

Method

• Put the whole lemon in a pan, cover with boiling water and simmer for 35 mins or until it feels tender when pierced with a sharp knife'
  • Chop the lemon into small pieces, remove pips and any stalk. Blitz the lemon to a puree. Add water to make the puree up to 120 ml, add the honey and stir.
  • Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease muffin tin or use paper cases. I find this mix makes about 6 muffins.
  • Place the beaten egg, milk, flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon puree and salt in a large bowl and stir with a fork until incorporated. The batter should be lumpy!
  • Fill muffin cups a bit higher than 2/3 full. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
  • Allow to cool slightly, brush the tops with egg white and sprinkle with pearl sugar (if using),

Last edited:
I really like the use of the lemon here. Before I read @Kake Lover's smoothie recipe, I always thought of the usable parts of a lemon as the peel and the juice, with everything else being discarded. Were you able to get the puree really smooth, or were parts of the membrane stubborn? Regardless, they look terrific...that color is something I would have thought required some additive to achieve.

I really like the use of the lemon here. Before I read @Kake Lover's smoothie recipe, I always thought of the usable parts of a lemon as the peel and the juice, with everything else being discarded. Were you able to get the puree really smooth, or were parts of the membrane stubborn? Regardless, they look terrific...that color is something I would have thought required some additive to achieve.

The colour is partly the lemon and partly the amazing Black Farmer Eggs I use which have been remarked on elsewhere. They turned my pasta a yellow colur too: (see the Cookalong: Ravioli). The yolks are almost orange. But to get that colour otherwise a pinch or two of ground turmeric will do the trick.

The lemon blitzes quite easily because it is softened from cooking and chopped up - I used a stick blender in a beaker and added just enough water to get it moving.

Back
Top Bottom