200ml (7fl oz) whole milk
200ml (7fl oz) pale ale
2 tsp English mustard
Splash of Worcestershire sauce
75g (3oz) mature cheddar, coarsely grated
75g (3oz) Swiss cheese (such as Jarlsberg), coarsely grated
1 TB chopped chives, optional, to serve

Directions
1. Trim the cauliflower base, creating a flat bottom so it can stand up straight; cut/peel away the tough outer leaves, leaving smaller inner leaves attached. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, add cauliflower, floret-side down, cover wth a lid and simmer gently for 10min, until almost tender (pierce the stalk with a knife to check). Drain and leave to cool floret-side down in a sieve for 20 minutes.
2. Heat oven to 220C (200C fan) mark 7. Put the cauliflower in an ovenproof baking dish (a 23cm/9in round dish works well). Rub half the butter all over the surface, squeeze over the lemon and season all over. Roast for 20 minutes until just starting t oturn golden on top.
3. Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce. Melt remaining butter in a pan, stir in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring. Add milk a splash at a time, stirring well after each addition. Gradually stir in the pale ale to make a smooth sauce. Stir in mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and some seasoning and simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir in most of the cheese. Check seasoning.
4. Heat grill/broiler to high. Pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower and sprinkle the reserved cheese over the top. Grill/Broil for 8-10 minutes until bubbling and golden. Scatter over the chives, if using, and slice to serve.

Recipe courtesy of Good Housekeeping 2019 Christmas Collection (UK Edition)

This pic isn't mine, it's accompanying the recipe in the magazine. Trust me, though...mine looked exactly like this:

I can't really give this a fair review, as I don't like beer cheese one bit, and didn't really notice that this was a beer cheese sauce until I started at it, so I made it as-is. I will say, it's a very good beer cheese sauce, as beer cheese sauces go, but I just don't care for them very much. Don't let that put you off, though. If you like the slightly sour/bitter taste of beer cheese, go for it, and this makes a stunning presentation on the table.

Back
Top Bottom