Whole wheat banana bread

Local time
10:03 PM
I have been speaking of my banana bread for a while here. It's been a winner for the most part and overripe bananas have become my new best friend. I used my last three frozen bananas yesterday and thought I would use whole wheat flour to change things up a bit. It was the first time in recent months/years I have substituted whole wheat for regular flour and I was a little nervous. I am happy to say it was a huge success.

Do you substitute whole wheat in any of your baking and how has it turned out?

I often use wholemeal flour in my cooking. All of my bread is made that way, unless I am making something like a spelt loaf.
I don't cook many cakes (as in Victorian sponges), but my scones are usually at least 50% wholemeal flour and there are very few recipes of mine where substituting white/plain/self raising for wholemeal and some extra baking powder doesn't work. In fact the only one currently that I can think of that would fail totally is a Yorkshire Pudding which just has to be white plain flour.

Well I was not much of a baker until joining the forum. As I've said time and time again Betty Crocker was my friend in the baking department so there was never any need to delve in substitutions and the like. I was really thrilled with the outcome of my bread. If I include the ones where I used all purpose flour, I think the whole wheat stands out. The thing is I think I "free styled" on the wheat using less I think and in the end the outcome was just great in my humble opinion. Of course I am anxious to try something else to see if I will have a favorable outcome.

I've never made banana bread but I love to eat it. I have always said that I wanted to bake it but have yet to do so. I have never heard of anyone baking it with this kind of flour. I want to start baking my own because the banana bread I purchase at the store just does not taste the same. I mean I can hardly even taste bananas at all.

I have not used whole wheat flour in my banana bread mix yet. I had received some large boxes of Cherrios which we do not eat, I ground up the cereal to make a flour and when I bake I add a 1/2 cup of the cherrio flour and a 1/2 cup of oatmeal to the mix, the bread is very good and has a higher fiber content which is important to me.

I've never made banana bread but I love to eat it. I have always said that I wanted to bake it but have yet to do so. I have never heard of anyone baking it with this kind of flour. I want to start baking my own because the banana bread I purchase at the store just does not taste the same. I mean I can hardly even taste bananas at all.

Welcome Smartmom. You simply must try it. And be sure to use the overly ripe bananas. This one I made had a strong banana taste or it just right. I thought it was bang on. You might want to use all purpose in the first instance but whatever you do it's worth trying.

I have not used whole wheat flour in my banana bread mix yet. I had received some large boxes of Cherrios which we do not eat, I ground up the cereal to make a flour and when I bake I add a 1/2 cup of the cherrio flour and a 1/2 cup of oatmeal to the mix, the bread is very good and has a higher fiber content which is important to me.
Very creative, Pat. I would never have guessed. Being here introduces me to all kinds of things I never even thought of.In a case like this you would likely add less sugar?

I don't relish wheat bread but my husband prefers that over ordinary bread. With whole wheat banana bread, he didn't quite like it. We were in a mountain resort where a bakeshop was famous for its banana bread. There were 2 varieties - banana muffin and wheat banana bread. We bought the 2 for comparison. The banana muffin was great but the wheat bread is not that good as bruited by avid friends.

I am not into whole wheat or anything that may contain bran and or allergen. I am allergic to wheat for some reasons and I was not aware of it. I know there is some good benefits to wheat but my system could not take it. I wonder how you manage to make it taste better, wheat for me is quite bland to be honest.

So how was the banana bread? Did it turn out to look darker and gooey? Is there a way to get rid of those little threadlike fibers after baking?

I am not into whole wheat or anything that may contain bran and or allergen. I am allergic to wheat for some reasons and I was not aware of it. I know there is some good benefits to wheat but my system could not take it. I wonder how you manage to make it taste better, wheat for me is quite bland to be honest.

So how was the banana bread? Did it turn out to look darker and gooey? Is there a way to get rid of those little threadlike fibers after baking?

The bread was perfect. I can't get it out of my head how good it was. I feel it had something to do with me adding some milk and it was not dry like most whole breads I have eaten. It has been a little while now and I have not had any over ripe bananas recently. When bananas come in, they are quickly eaten. There was nothing gooey about it at all. It was perfect and not anywhere near bland.nor did it have any threadlike fibres (not sure I know what you mean). Seeing you talk about it again has me wanting to bake another, but I am quietly concerned if it's going to be equally good.

I am already familiar with the taste of whole wheat bread because this is the kind of bread we are always eating at home. Even though that it does not taste that good it is just okay because it is healthy. But when it comes to a whole wheat banana bread I had not experience its taste or how to bake this one. I do not know if it is also moist in texture like the ordinary banana bread.

I am already familiar with the taste of whole wheat bread because this is the kind of bread we are always eating at home. Even though that it does not taste that good it is just okay because it is healthy. But when it comes to a whole wheat banana bread I had not experience its taste or how to bake this one. I do not know if it is also moist in texture like the ordinary banana bread.
This one was moist. I think that's what had me impress and I believe I might have added some milk not quite remembering now if the recipe called for milk. It was so delicious I keep asking myself if it was an 'accidental success'. I remember looking at several simple banana bread recipes and coming up with a winner. I am terrible at saving the right things. I know I have the recipe somewhere here in the forum. If only I can find it.

The bread was perfect. I can't get it out of my head how good it was. I feel it had something to do with me adding some milk and it was not dry like most whole breads I have eaten. It has been a little while now and I have not had any over ripe bananas recently. When bananas come in, they are quickly eaten. There was nothing gooey about it at all. It was perfect and not anywhere near bland.nor did it have any threadlike fibres (not sure I know what you mean). Seeing you talk about it again has me wanting to bake another, but I am quietly concerned if it's going to be equally good.
If you look at the finish product closely you would see small threads I think their color is dark violet to black and they are all over to think that they could be a result of the wheat getting cooked but I am not sure. I think this very small and fine threads came from banana. Other than that which is more on the aesthetics I think this food is great but I must think of a substitute for wheat.

If you look at the finish product closely you would see small threads I think their color is dark violet to black and they are all over to think that they could be a result of the wheat getting cooked but I am not sure. I think this very small and fine threads came from banana. Other than that which is more on the aesthetics I think this food is great but I must think of a substitute for wheat.
I have not made this bread again, but would love to. It's just that the banana's get eaten quickly when I buy them. When I baked the banana breads before the bananas came directly from my mom already overripe. I am thinking the thread like pieces you see are in fact banana but I would not have seen any in the whole wheat which was much darker than the regular banana cake. I will look again when next I make the whole wheat banana bread.

Back
Top Bottom