Why did you join CookingBites? And, why did you stay?

How did you hear about CookingBites?

• From an internet search for food forums

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • From another food forum or social network

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • From a friend (in real life or online)

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • From a link on another website or blog

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
8:49 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
A few days ago, it occurred to me that there were a few new members. I checked the New Member Introductions forum, and I saw that there are 9 new member introductions since the beginning of June (3 weeks). And, I know that some people join without doing an introduction. I've only been here for a little over 2 years, but that seems like quite a few new members. This is great news!

While there are things about this forum that are obvious to me about why I've stuck around (which I will get into in a moment), it occurred to me that there must stories that are different from mine.

So, please paint us a picture: how did you find this forum? Why did you decide to join after you found it? And, if you're reading this (whether it's been for 2 weeks or 2 years), why do you keep coming back?

NOTE to moderators: I considered starting this in the New Member Introductions forum, since it seems appropriate there. But, it also seems appropriate under Miscellaneous and CookingBites Cafe. Your call.

I saw a link on Facebook in one of the foodie groups I belong to. I joined because of the recipes mainly (as it gives me a chance to see how others think of my own recipes and adaptations) but now join in more to the chats. I was missing for a while because my laptop keeps dying, but always intended coming back after it was sorted, whenever that may be :laugh:

Thanks for this thread @The Late Night Gourmet - I was actually about to post a similar thread and include a poll to see how people heard about us. I will add the poll to this thread.

Re the new members - yes there have been a few more than usual but you will notice that quite a few post an intro and then never return - so its not quite as good as it looks. Not sure why but its always been the same. You can see when someone last posted by clicking on their icon.

I'll add my story later...

Last edited:
How did I find CookingBites? I am a refugee from another cooking forum.

I first tried https://www.chowhound.com, but that one is so disjointed that it didn't hold my interest.

The next forum was a place that had structure and passionate members, and I was hooked. But, it also has something that CookingBites doesn't have: bullies. Someone started a thread about gumbo, and I posted my opinion about it. Gumbo can be made a lot of different ways, and some people are pretty protective about what they think The Right Way is. Someone said that I was claiming to be an expert with my opinion, which I wasn't. What ensued was that person refusing to let a misunderstanding go, and then someone else joined in and decided that the first bully was right. I posted something else to a different sub-forum, and the same bully decided to comment on how I must be an expert at that. too.

I saw where this was headed: he apparently had more interest in antagonizing people behind the safety of his keyboard than he was interested in discussing cooking. The administrator had the classic "hands-off" approach to the situation, and that was that.

Someone who saw the exchanges recommended CookingBites to me. Fortunately, the recommendation was dead on.

Why did I decide to join after I found it? Besides the recommendation, it quickly became clear that the big difference was the huge amount of respect shown to people of all styles and skill levels on this forum. I credit the admins here with running a tight, but very fair, ship.

Why do I keep coming back?
Obviously, I'm addicted. :laugh: And, I know that this forum is a bit like an extended family for me. With my blood relatives, we are able up pick up where we left off even if we haven't spoken for months. It's the same way here. I know some families where you are obligated to call or visit to avoid offending certain people. Not so here. I see some people who don't post for a while, and then they start posting again. This is perfectly fine. You are always welcome here. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me begin by saying "What a wonderful thread"!!! Thanks @The Late Night Gourmet

How did I find CookingBites? I am a refugee from another cooking forum.

I first tried https://www.chowhound.com, but that one is so disjointed that it didn't hold my interest.

The next forum was a place that had structure and passionate members, and I was hooked. But, it also has something that CookingBites doesn't have: bullies. Someone started a thread about gumbo, and I posted my opinion about it. Gumbo can be made a lot of different ways, and some people are pretty protective about what they think The Right Way is. Someone said that I was claiming to be an expert with my opinion, which I wasn't. What ensued was that person refusing to let a misunderstanding go, and then someone else joined in and decided that the first bully was right. I posted something else to a different sub-forum, and the same bully decided to comment on how I must be an expert at that. too.
Great story. As for the bully? What a ...lots of negative expletives follow...!!! :porky::porky::porky:

Why did I decide to join after I found it? Besides the recommendation, it quickly became clear that the big difference was the huge amount of respect shown to people of all styles and skill levels on this forum. I credit the admins here with running a tight, but very fair, ship.

I absolutely agree. I have been a member for only a few short months and people here are simply the best.

Why do I keep coming back? Obviously, I'm addicted. :laugh: And, I know that this forum is a bit like an extended family for me. With my blood relatives, we are able up pick up where we left off even if we haven't spoken for months. It's the same way here. I know some families where you are obligated to call or visit to avoid offending certain people. Not so here. I see some people who don't post for a while, and then they start posting again. This is perfectly fine. You are always welcome here. :)

Besides echoing the same sentiment, I would also add that CookingBites has taught me a lot about cooking and ingredients that I would have otherwise never known about. Thanks goes out to the entire CookingBites community.:thumbsup:

Those of you who have ticked 'other' in the poll - could you please explain. I can add other more relevant options to the poll and you can change your vote. Its very useful information for us. :okay::D

I was on another site and someone via a pm mentioned this site, I had a look around then joined. It's the friendliest site ever. Some on here are also on others I'm on as well.
The murican sites I'm on are teaching me how other people in different parts of the world cook, and hopefully they learn something from me.? U.K. Sites I have an affinity with as my roots go back to Cornwall.
I also want to learn more curry dishes from the Brits.
Only had a bit to do with mods, who do an excellent job of maintaining and shifting stuff around. Thanks mods.

Russ

I've been a member for about a year and a half. The only other forum that I'm part of is a poker chip forum.

About 3 or 4 years ago I started really experimenting with my cooking. I have a good friend that is fantastic. He lives out of state, but was a big part in me embracing this hobby. I started looking for a cooking forum. I tried a few different ones. I mostly didn't like their formats/layouts. Then I stumbled upon cookingbites. I immediately felt at home. After that, things took off!!! My food prep, cooking, willingness to experiment with foods has taken off since I joined.

I stayed because the cookingbites community treats each other like were all family.

I think, from a link on another forum. I seem to remember that it was a "I'm also on cookingbites" comment. I looked, joined, and felt that this was a very much more 'homely' forum than I'd been used to. Not that the others were bad, and I still look in from time to time, just this suited me more.

A few days ago, it occurred to me that there were a few new members. I checked the New Member Introductions forum, and I saw that there are 9 new member introductions since the beginning of June (3 weeks). And, I know that some people join without doing an introduction. I've only been here for a little over 2 years, but that seems like quite a few new members. This is great news!

While there are things about this forum that are obvious to me about why I've stuck around (which I will get into in a moment), it occurred to me that there must stories that are different from mine.

So, please paint us a picture: how did you find this forum? Why did you decide to join after you found it? And, if you're reading this (whether it's been for 2 weeks or 2 years), why do you keep coming back?

NOTE to moderators: I considered starting this in the New Member Introductions forum, since it seems appropriate there. But, it also seems appropriate under Miscellaneous and CookingBites Cafe. Your call.

To learn things, to share things.

Forums are much more appealing to me than social media, forums are the old school version of social media.

This forum is the most active and engaged community i have come across as well.

Back
Top Bottom