Why do the sides of my bread not brown?

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
12:46 PM
About 3 weeks ago - when yeast was not available - I scored a five pack of frozen rise and bake bread loaves. The fourth is in the oven - one left in the freezer.
the top gets a beautiful golden brown. The sides are white. Is it my pan? I am using a Teflon pan. Medium gray. Should I be using a shiny pan or a glass pan?
Is it something other than the pan?
Your input is appreciated.

I lightly grease the sides of my pan. I don't use a Teflon pan. I have several bread pans, they are all metal (not sure what kind) and my bread always comes out brown on the sides. My most recent score is an extra long bread pan because my bread loaves when using frozen dough were too big and looked like oblong mushrooms, LOL!

I use Baker's Joy pan spray - an oil/flour combination that is perfect for baking. My thought is the color of the pan. I have a loaf almost ready to come out of the oven. I will post a pic.

I have one that is copper colored, one that is dark gray, one that is lighter gray, and my new extra long Ballarini La Patisserie bread pan is black. The bread always comes out the same color in all of them.

Here are my bread pans

Just took a loaf out of the oven.

Sorry about the shadows. Just because I am asking for advice for sides not being brown this one has a little color on the side.. Go figure.

Did you use this pan to bake bread from scratch?
Frozen rise and bake loaves that I scored while yeast was not available. I am not a baker. I have made 6 loaves of bread "from scratch" I wanted to practice during this isolation but could not find yeast. G recently found some just by chance. I have one loaf of the rise and bake in the freezer. When that is done I will work on perfecting scratch bread.

Frozen rise and bake loaves that I scored while yeast was not available. I am not a baker. I have made 6 loaves of bread "from scratch" I wanted to practice during this isolation but could not find yeast. G recently found some just by chance. I have one loaf of the rise and bake in the freezer. When that is done I will work on perfecting scratch bread.

Right, I meant before the frozen bread, had you ever used the pan before.

I haven't baked bread from scratch in a very long time myself, mostly because I worked so much I didnt have time. Then when the pandemic happened I also could not find yeast. I got some last week finally. I still have some frozen loaves in the freezer too. I'm going to try hamburger buns from scratch before I make scratch bread.

How do frozen, rise and bake loaves work? Do you defrost them, or cook them from frozen?

I am no expert baker, only being successful when using packet mixes, but I also use a grey Teflon tin and have not noticed any problems. This is one I made yesterday:
View attachment 41347
You thaw, let rise, then bake. Your loaves look great!

The sides are always going to be a little bit lighter than the top. I have several metal loaf pans and 1 heavy ceramic one. The sides come out much lighter in the ceramic versus the metal. It almost looks like there is uneven heat distribution on the sides given the last loaf's coloration pattern, but that doesn't make sense given the way the top looks. I'm assuming they are done inside? You could always try taking 1 out of the pan the last 5-10 minutes of cooking time.

It could be the dough, it could be the pan, it could be a little both.

I use a brown glass pan and a terra cotta one. The glass one, the sides do ok, but the bottom never browns. I take the loaf out and toss it on my pizza stone for the last few minutes, and that does the trick. The terrace cotta pan does better all around.

Back
Top Bottom