Wine: buy as you go or stockpile?

Lostvalleyguy

Veteran
Local time
2:08 PM
I grew up in a household that always had a supply if wine kept in the basement. Keeping a variety of types of both red and white wines can mean having the appropriate bottle in the house when needed without having to run to the store.

Unlike my parents, I tend to grab a bottle of wine when I am planning a specific meal. It means an extra trip to get the wine (as we can not buy it in the grocery stores) but it also mean having the exact bottle I want to go with my meal. If can mean, however, that I can't just grab a bottle to go when heading out to dine with friends.

Even if you don't have a fully stocked wine cellar, are you one to keep a dozen or so bottles in the house or are you a buy as you go wine person?

I'm not that much into wine but do like to cook with it. I just get it as I need it and then give the bottle away when I am done with it.

I`m also only getting wine when I need it to cook something or if it specifically required for a recipe. I`m not much of a wine drinker, so I don`t usually stock up on wine to keep around the house.

I buy as I go because I'm not a big wine drinker. I also don't know enough about it in order to choose the right ones that will end up tasting even better over time while being stored. I would love to get more into wine at some point, though. The idea of a wine cellar sounds glorious to me.

Buy as I go for the moment. Later on, when I settle down permanently I do want to have a pretty decent sized wine cellar for myself.

If there is a Cost Plus World Market in your area, they have great prices on wine and their $0.01 sales are a great way to stockpile. Since a car is necessary in my area, it is best to do this as you may run out in the middle of a party or other social event. Though many people do not have a cellar, there are great storage options for those who live in apartments or have limited space in their home.

We buy when we want to drink that way we know what we are in the mood for, something light or a heavy rioja, what ever the mood is at the time.

I tend to keep about 6-10 bottles in the house at all times in case there is an impromptu gathering but otherwise I buy as I go. Lately my boyfriend and I have taken a greater interest in wine, as opposed to our usual "this tastes good this doesn't" approach, so we haven't been buying as much at once because it seems like the more we learn the more we want to head out to pick up a few bottles of something specific.

Personally, I would be a little uncomfortable with keeping too much alcohol in my house at one time, since I would be tempted to drink it too often. When I used to keep fully stocked bars, my friends and I would get too carried away with them - sometimes for days at a time. Occasionally I will pick up a case of the super cheap wine at Trader Joe's though, or a couple boxed wines. I actually enjoy both of these a lot despite their inexpensive prices. They have a clean refreshing taste great for drinking with meals or socializing, without being too distinct. I usually just pour them into a nice decanter so everyone feels like they are drinking a nicer wine, and not dwell on the fact that it's the inexpensive stuff. Plus if I want to make something like a Sangria, I don't feel so bad mixing an expensive wine with juices and fruit.

If I was going to keep the wine for a longer period of time, I would just keep some boxed wines stocked up. The corked ones will sometimes rot, even if you are storing them at an angle. And I don't trust the ones with the screw on lids for long term storage.

Back
Top Bottom