Recipe Wine-poached hearts

Hemulen

Woof-woof
Local time
7:15 PM
Wine-poached hearts
hea_f.png
Serves 4 | Preparation 30-40 min, cooking time 3 hours

Pig hearts are an underrated and dodged but a lean and wonderful cooking ingredient. They taste a bit like other entrails like liver or kidneys but their flavor is milder and the texture is vaguely (ox) tongue-like. The brawn becomes tender when it’s trimmed and cooked carefully. Hearts can be seasoned like any meat.

Ingredients
~900 g/2 lb pig hearts (two hearts)​
10 g/0.1 stick/0.35 oz butter​
200 g/0.44 lb/7 oz button mushrooms/champignons​
200 g/0.44 lb/7 oz black kale (long-stemmed leaf cabbage with curly leaves; also known as Tuscan or black cabbage, cavolo nero or palm tree cabbage)​
200 g/0.44 lb/7 oz parsnip​
1 medium-sized green bell pepper/sweet pepper​
2 large bunches of chives (~300-350 ml/1.3-1.5 cups when chopped)​
3-4 cloves of garlic​
100 ml/63 g/0.4 cups/2.2 oz (yellow) corn flour​
salt to taste (I put ~4 teaspoons which didn’t seem too much) + a pinch of finger salt/kosher salt to sprinkle on top​
1 teaspoon black pepper​
375 ml/1.6 cups red wine​
375 ml/1.6 cups water​

Instructions

1. Prepare the hearts: start by cutting off most of the fat, tough membranes/filaments and silver skin from the surface with kitchen scissors or a filleting knife.
2. Cut the hearts in two so that one end keeps intact (butterfly-shape).
3. Rinse off all the blood clots and impurities by squeezing lightly under running water, pat-dry and place the hearts on top of a chopping board inside up.
4. Cut off the largest arteries, membranes and tendons.
5. Set the oven to 175°C /340-350 °F/gas mark 4, no fan.
6. Heat up the butter in a frying pan/skillet on medium-high heat and brown the flattened hearts (2-3 minutes per side).
7. Clean the mushrooms, rinse and trim the black kale and chop it into big pieces, deseed the bell pepper and cut it into bits.
8. Peel and chop the parsnip into chunks, rinse and cut up the chives, peel the garlic cloves and cut them in half.
9. Line a medium-sized, high-edged Dutch oven/lidded oven pan with parchment paper (to ease washing up) and place the hearts on the bottom.
10. Cover the hearts with a layer of mushrooms, garlic, kale, parsnip and bell pepper.
11. Mix the salt, black pepper and corn flour with the chives and place the mixture on top.
12. Pour over the wine and water and mix a little.
13. Line the lid with parchment paper and cook in the oven for about 3 hours.
14. Slice the hearts and pick up the mushrooms for garnish.
15. Masticate/purée the rest of the stew in a blender/mixer; (if you like, you can add some more wine to liquify the purée or some heavy cream or crème fraîche to lighten the brownish green color; I left it as it is).
16. Place the heart slices on a serving plate, cover with purée, garnish with mushrooms and sprinkle with finger salt.
17. Serve with e.g. fresh vegetables and rice cooked in beef stock with a splash of lime.

hea_a.png

hea_b.png

hea_c.png

Last edited:
This is a great vehicle for delivering something like this. I have cooked with chicken hearts, which honestly weren't something I'd want to make again (they tasted chewy and metallic, though maybe that was the fault of my preparation). I will have to give this a try sometime soon.

This is a great vehicle for delivering something like this. I have cooked with chicken hearts, which honestly weren't something I'd want to make again (they tasted chewy and metallic, though maybe that was the fault of my preparation). I will have to give this a try sometime soon.
Pig hearts aren't chewy when poached long enough but all hearts have a metallic hue due to the iron accumulated in the muscular/brawn tissue (by blood circulation). On the other hand, hearts lack the bilious/metabolic taste of other intestines. If you're no a big fan of ferrous taste and like to tame it down, you can cut the hearts in two (as in the recipe), rinse well and soak them in water, milk or natural yoghurt in the fridge overnight before re-rinsing and pat-drying. Black kale/cabbage has a very stark flavor as does red wine - so they rule the flavor with chives, bell pepper and garlic. The mushrooms are bland/mild in this context but they give a pleasant mouthfeel and a nice round shape for garnish.

If you're no a big fan of ferrous taste and like to tame it down, you can cut the hearts in two (as in the recipe), rinse well and soak them in water, milk or natural yoghurt in the fridge overnight before re-rinsing and pat-drying.

Ah-ha...just like preparing liver. This makes a lot of sense!

Pig hearts aren't chewy when poached long enough but all hearts have a metallic hue due to the iron accumulated in the muscular/brawn tissue (by blood circulation). On the other hand, hearts lack the bilious/metabolic taste of other intestines. If you're no a big fan of ferrous taste and like to tame it down, you can cut the hearts in two (as in the recipe), rinse well and soak them in water, milk or natural yoghurt in the fridge overnight before re-rinsing and pat-drying. Black kale/cabbage has a very stark flavor as does red wine - so they rule the flavor with chives, bell pepper and garlic. The mushrooms are bland/mild in this context but they give a pleasant mouthfeel and a nice round shape for garnish.

Brava! I am used to soak them in milk :thumbsup:, not only pig hearts but also other offals - except from liver

Back
Top Bottom