winter squash

CookieMonster

Local time
1:43 PM
delicata/acorn/etc - we like them, cut in half, clean out seed cavity, oil&salt&bake....

I use a soup spoon to scrape out the seed cavity. the ease & perfection of this depends on how 'sharp' the edge of the spoon is.
often it is more effort and more left stringy stuff than I think 'appropriate'

am I missing an easier/better method?

delicata/acorn/etc - we like them, cut in half, clean out seed cavity, oil&salt&bake....

I use a soup spoon to scrape out the seed cavity. the ease & perfection of this depends on how 'sharp' the edge of the spoon is.
often it is more effort and more left stringy stuff than I think 'appropriate'

am I missing an easier/better method?
I don't know if it's better, but I have a grapefruit spoon that has serrated edges - I use that and it works fine.

If that's pumpkin you're talking about, the Brits don't really eat it as they consider it as fodder for animals, well the Brits I know do. We love it, roasted or in a risotto. There's always some in our fridge.

Russ

Times have changed and we do eat them - didn't you spot the Ghost pumpkin velouté with squid ink raviolo I posted for Halloween? :D

In fact I have an acorn squash sitting in the kitchen right now. One of the best recipes I've come across for winter squash was from Herbie - I made and photographed it a while back. I'll dig out the link.

Crab Raviolo with Ghost Pumpkin Velouté

Last edited:
Squash or pumpkin all the same. My best friend (he's a gardener like my wife) gave us a pumpkin last year from his garden, it was absolutely beautiful so my wife kept seeds from it. She gave them to me about a month ago to germinate. She planted three plants out into her garden yesterday. They are about 3 inches big and well on the way.
Recycled seeds kinda gives me a kick. I may return a pumpkin back to him?? From his pumpkin,lol.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom