Wok problems

Rachele

Veteran
Local time
5:17 PM
I have, as long as I can remember, had problems with woks. I would like to be able to keep one for a decent amount of time, but I only manage a few months at best. They just burn, and I don't know why this keeps happening. Is there anything that I shouldn't be cooking in a wok? Should I just season it and then never wash it? Help - I am in wok hell!

A new wok needs to be well scrubbed and oiled. Some people 'bake' a wok in an oven after oiling and before using for the first time.

When cooking with a wok you need to spread the oil well up the sides of the wok, where the food will be stirred, to prevent burning. Peanut oil is the best to use, or other nut and seed based oils with a high smoke point.

A new wok needs to be well scrubbed and oiled. Some people 'bake' a wok in an oven after oiling and before using for the first time.

When cooking with a wok you need to spread the oil well up the sides of the wok, where the food will be stirred, to prevent burning. Peanut oil is the best to use, or other nut and seed based oils with a high smoke point.

I can't bake it because it has a wooden handle, which may set fire in the oven! :eek:

I think it is too late for my current model, but when I get a new one, which will be soon, I will scrub and oil it and hopefully that will elongate its lifespan. I spend a fortune on woks!

Why not just invest in a non-stick stir fry pan? They even make them in enamel these days, if you are concerned about heating traditional non stick pans beyond a certain temperature. You won't have any problems with food sticking to the pan, you can use less oil when cooking, there is no need to season them regularly, and the flatter base means more even heating on a conventional stove. Plus, traditional woks are unnecessarily huge, way bigger than you really need to cook for one or a few people. They take up too much space on the stove and too much space in your cupboards.

Back
Top Bottom