Worst hangover you've ever had...

In my early 20s - introduced to Southern Comfort and Coke. Thought it was the greatest, tastes good and goes down easy. Woo goo - let's party!!! Well, it was good and easy until the next morning.

Let's just say it was the last time I ever drank Southern Comfort or any alcohol mixed with sweet carbonated sodas.

Me: about 40 years ago, (23yo) worked for a 3 man company, the boss got a big order one day and decided to shout us drinks after work. I can handle my drink really well. The drink in question was apple cider, a new drink to me. 5 hrs later I woke up in the grandstands half way up of the local racecourse. I somehow staggered the 3 km walk to get home, I never went to work for 2 days. Never touched it again. I think the Brits call it snake bite.?

Wife: she ran a record store about 30 years ago, she got to go to a private function with other shop owners to meet jimmy Barnes. She got carried away with sambuca , she arrived home in her car, I heard it come up,the driveway, saw lights on , but no movement. I went outside wipers were still going, she was slumped over the wheel. It's a wonder she never hit another vehicle. I half carried her to bed, undressed her and put her to bed, 30 mins later I heard the wrenching of a woman possessed. Black vomit all up the wall of the bathroom and floor. She hardly drinks now.

Russ

Snakebite, to me, is half and half lager and cider.

My partner Catherine reckons hers was in 1988, curiously enough the very day after Ireland beat England 1-0 in the European Championships (football, that is). She watched the game in an Irish pub in London. Naturally enough, a copious amount of alcohol was downed by the green-clad hordes packed into the pub.

She says her main recollections of the day are the mania that followed Ray Houghton's goal, the full-time whistle and the moment that somebody pressed a guitar into her hands, whereupon she entertained the crowd with a raucous rendition of Sean South of Garryowen. Beyond that, things began to blur somewhat. What she does recall was remaining in bed for the whole of the following day...

Last edited:
Snakebite, to me, is half and half lager and cider.
That's what I know it as. When we first moved to England, all my buddies said, "You've got to try a snakebite, you've got to try a snakebite," and they're pretty good, indeed!

Back
Top Bottom