Would you be prepared to slaughter an animal for meat?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:52 AM
[Mod.edit: This and following few posts moved to start a new thread]

Added to clarify:

The wider question is not just you - but how you think people in different countries (or other people you know) would react if it was mandatory to slaughter an animal in order to continue eating meat.

I think that every meat eater should, at some point in life, dispatch an animal. I used to be a hunter, mostly ducks. It gives you an appreciation for how the meat got on your plate. Somebody had to kill and animal.

I think if that was mandatory there would be a huge rise in vegetarianism...

Last edited:
Maybe in the UK which has got used to buying supermarket pre packed meat but, certainly not here or most of Europe.

I'm sure that may be true in more rural parts but I'm not sure about long time city dwellers. I wonder how many Parisians would be prepared to slaughter an animal? I may be wrong and maybe Timenspace is an exception. She is Croatian and has said she can't bear to prepare fish so I assume she wouldn't be prepared to slaughter a pig, cow etc.

Maybe in the UK which has got used to buying supermarket pre packed meat but, certainly not here or most of Europe.
I buy the meat for kid pre packed, most of the time, but my boyfriend told me he bought pork, chicken and beef in bits, and did the cutting himself.
Which I greatly admire, not just in him but anybody who knows how to do it.
I was absolutely clumsy in dewinging a😊 whole pre packed chicken, had no idea where to cut, where the joints are etc...
One really must know the anatomy and angles and have a good knife and strentgh...
For me personally, I find it extremely helpful to have the meat as cook ready as possible, for pure time management...
Another subjectmatter, I know waaay to little about plants as well...growing them, tending etc...

I'm sure that may be true in more rural parts but I'm not sure about long time city dwellers. I wonder how many Parisians would be prepared to slaughter an animal? I may be wrong and maybe Timenspace is an exception. She is Croatian and has said she can't bear to prepare fish so I assume she wouldn't be prepared to slaughter a pig, cow etc.
True, I grew up in cities only, cannot handle fish...could never capture and kill a chicken or pig, I think I'd have a heart attack and severe mental issues...
I can't even watch it. Not even in movies...
If it must be, then I am for sedation and then kill...if possible...

We raised, slaughtered, and butchered our own meat on-site (chicken, pork, and beef) when I was a kid, up well into my teens, and my granddad also liked to shoot rabbits, squirrels, and groundhog as well, though my dad didn't care for any of that, so we never did much of that.

I've done more than my share of it, enough to know that I'm highly appreciative of the shops where I can go and pick that stuff up, already portioned out for me. 😬

We raised, slaughtered, and butchered our own meat on-site (chicken, pork, and beef) when I was a kid, up well into my teens, and my granddad also liked to shoot rabbits, squirrels, and groundhog as well, though my dad didn't care for any of that, so we never did much of that.

I've done more than my share of it, enough to know that I'm highly appreciative of the shops where I can go and pick that stuff up, already portioned out for me. 😬

But what about others you know? Would Mrs Tasty, for example.

But what about others you know? Would Mrs Tasty, for example.
Would she personally kill one? It would probably depend on the critter. A pig, no, and partly because she'd have no idea how to go about the whole process.

Would she drop a live lobster in some boiling water? Absolutely.

I once saw a pig being slaughtered for meat, & I stopped eating pork for three years!! No, I wouldn't do it! Especially if i became friends with the animal! How on earth could I eat any animal after becoming friends with him?! :eek:

I had no problem spearfishing, though Craig always did the cutting up part because he's good at it. I most definitely am not. I have dispatched lobster and cleaned live geoduck and urchins, as well as clams, etc.

I could butcher a chicken, and think i could a pig or cow if I hadn't raised the latter 2. If I had, I think it would have to be a starvation issue.

I don't know if the question is meant to encompass every aspect of harvesting meat, but I see it as two or three related questions rolled into one:

1. Do you have an ethical issue with killing an animal for food?

2. Are you ok with performing the actual killing, but leaving the other skilled work, the processing/butchering to someone else?

3. Are you ok with the substantial work in processing the slaughtered animal? It's not an inconsequential job.

So to answer my own questions...I actually do feel some tugs at my conscience over the harvesting of animals for food, at least as it pertains to my personal situation, meaning that I have no dietary restrictions or difficulty in sourcing other kinds of protein.

It could be that I'm evolving, who knows? In the past, I didn't think at all about food animal welfare. Nowadays, I do by most of my meat from reputable local farms, who advertise humane treatment of their animals, though I'm still not above a Big Mac here and there, and since the pandemic started, I've relaxed my meat-buying standards a bit, getting meat from Kroger, for whom price and profit are their number one concerns, I'm sure. Maybe in five years, I'll be vegetarian. 🤷🏻‍♂️

As it stands now, would I be able to kill an animal, if that were the last practical resort? Yes, definitely, so any squeamishness over the actual act of shooting/slitting of an animal wouldn't be much of an issue, though I certainly wouldn't enjoy it. I've done it and helped do it enough times, though if a person hasn't, it's hard to express how unpleasant it can get, and there's a world of difference in killing, say, a fish, than there is a pig or a cow.

It's the third question then, that's the one that would get in my way from a practical standpoint. Butchering an animal is a lot of work, and much of it isn't exactly fun. It smells, it's physical, and it's messy.

When I think "butchering," my mind goes immediately to pigs, because that's what we butchered the most. Well, not in sheer numbers, that'd be chickens, but in amount of meat, it's hogs, so that's what I think of, and that's some work.

Even chickens, small as they are, are more work than you think, with the scalding and plucking and gutting. Matter of fact, the main reason we stopped raising chickens was that my dad felt it was too much work for too little meat. Chicken day meant taking care of a good 30-40 chickens in a day, and not have a whole lot of meat to show for the work, especially compared to a hog or to an entire beef cow.

So practically speaking, even if I felt the need to raise a pig for meat, I'd pay someone else to do the slaughtering and the butchering. The very last cow we ever raised to eat, all my brothers had grown and moved, and it was just my dad and me, so we did that, and after it was all done and we got all that beef back, cut up and ground the way my dad requested, he shook his head and said, "I should have done this years ago!"

It is very individual. But you would know your way around. It is a choice, rather not.
My boyfriend grew up on a farm too, chicken, cows, rabbits...and he used to fish as hobby, so he is in the know...his main reason for buying in bits is the lower price.

Don't read the spoiler if you are squeamish about killing an animal, seriously. I'm writing about the 1 thing that freaks me out when preparing shellfish that I have just dispatched.

When you are preparing lobster, live diver scallops, and geoduck just after dispatching them, you can feel the muscles twitching as you are slicing them, even sometimes with fish that have just been caught.

Back
Top Bottom