Would you cook a turkey for one?

Lostvalleyguy

Veteran
Local time
11:41 AM
I was in the store the other day and with Easter right around the corner, there were many turkeys available at good prices. I don't really have enough space to buy a frozen turkey to store for use at some future date so to buy one is to use one. I was really tempted to do so as I have not had turkey for a while and I haven't cooked one myself in a few years.

I couldn't bring myself to do it. Cooking a whole turkey for just myself seemed over the top. I also had to consider how to get it home as I was on my bike. I could not just do a turkey so I would have to do the full meal with all the fixings.

Would you cook a meal like a turkey dinner for just yourself?

Yes, I would, provided it wouldn't be a hassle such as the situation you've stated. If I had the freezer space for leftovers and could get the whole turkey home with more ease, then I don't see why I shouldn't, since turkey probably doesn't spoil very easily anyway. Also, I think it would be great for leftovers and it could probably feed me for a long time afterwards, which I think is very cost effective.

Yes, and I have done it before!

The great thing about turkey is that it can be refrozen after it's cooked and holds its texture quite well when thawed. So I would cook the turkey at once and then debone everything. Use the bones for a stock, if that tickles your fancy. Then I would shred and cube some of the turkey to be used in casseroles, soups, etc. I would probably go ahead and eat some of it over the next few days....the breast slices with gravy and mashed potatoes, for example, and some for some nice turkey sandwiches, etc. And then the rest of the meat would be frozen for future use.

You don't have to cook the turkey whole and all at once. In fact, many recipes I saw this past fall with regards to Thanksgiving suggested breaking down the turkey first, then roasting all the parts separately on a flat wire rack. This allowed everything to cook much more evenly without running the risk of drying out the breast meat. I would consider saving some of the parts and freezing them for future use. Half of a turkey is more than plenty to do a traditional take on it with all the fixings. Then you would have plenty of leftovers for turkey sandwiches, turkey tettrazzini, diced turkey to go over salads, and more.

I've always wanted to cook a turkey at my place when I was living by myself, but I never got around to buying the proper pan to make it. The biggest thing I could roast would be a medium sized chicken.

I certainly wouldn't cook a full turkey. However, You can buy turkey breasts or legs separately and I would cook these for one. You can serve them in the same way that you would a turkey dinner, just in an individual portion (although a turkey leg would probably last you two meals easily). A small chicken is an alternative and this would last for a few meals too.

I do it all of the time. I cook the ones that are 12-15 lbs. and get a lot of meals out of them. I make at least three kinds of soup and freeze whatever meat I don't eat. Really economical and its not hard to roast a turkey.

I am not very comfortable cooking a turkey but if I was I would definitely make one for myself. I think that I could get quite a few meals out of it, even some soup, so the time and energy that would go into cooking it would be well spent. My only concern would be storage and how the turkey would freeze.

I would, just because I'd have so many left overs. You can freeze the meat, you can make sandwiches, casseroles, soups. There is just so much too do, and I love turkey. They have small turkeys you can choose from. Just try to get a little one if you're cooking it for one person. Be sure you read the directions though.

Back
Top Bottom