Would you let your little one do a dangerous job when cooking?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
6:31 AM
It may be time to cook,but would you let your little one do a dangerous job in the kitchen such as the job pictured below? There are many food prep & cooking jobs to do, some that kids would not even THINK about hesitating to do, but let's face it, sadly, they can get injured, burned or hurt otherwise. Kids are very eager to help you in the kitchen, but you want them to be safe in what they are doing. A job that's too dangerous is NOT one that you'd let them do! They are very bright, smart & intelligent, but there ARE limitations in the kitchen. How far would you let them carry out a simple task without getting hurt in the kitchen? Or let them use appliances that you'd trust them to be alone with? :whistling:

Last edited:
It may be time to cook,but would you let your little one do a dangerous job in the kitchen such as the job pictured below? There are many food prep & cooking jobs to do, some that kids would not even THINK about hesitating to do, but let's face it, sadly, they can get injured, burned or hurt otherwise. Kids are very eager to help you in the kitchen, but you want them to be safe in what they are doing. A job that's too dangerous is NOT one that you'd let them do! They are very bright, smart & intelligent, but there ARE limitations in the kitchen. How far would you let them carry out a simple task without getting hurt in the kitchen? Or let them use appliances that you'd trust them to be alone with? :whistling:
View attachment 81423

Not as a first attempt at cooking, but if I felt the child was ready, and he/she wanted to try, I would let them try something like deep frying some fish-- with heavy supervision.

Operating a meat slicer? No. Some jobs require the physical capabilities of an adult.

In the photo you posted, I would be right behind that child ready to take control in an instant if things went wrong. But I would allow her (?) to do it.

CD

When my kids were young, I generally allowed them to crack eggs, mix batter for cake, frost the cakes or cupcakes, help me make cookies, etc., and that was all when they were very young, before our schedules got hectic. It was awhile before I let them get near the stove (teens), and that's mostly because they had a tendency to wear oversized sweatshirts with long sleeves that could have easily caught fire while cooking. I hardly ever let them cut with knives until they were in their teens. They eventually learned to boil water and they were fine with the microwave, LOL. Maybe I was overly concerned and cautious with their safety, but no one got hurt so I have no regrets. Also we had really busy schedules with sports, music, cheerleading, etc. so there just wasn't enough time in the day to teach them more.

No one ever taught me anything about how to cut or cook, I had to learn it all on my own because my mother just didn't cook much and was really busy with work. I just started doing it in my early teens (out of necessity) and figured it out on my own.

Hmm I would let my young child to help me cook if he or she listened to me and I would be right there watching. I let my cousin who was 5 to help me. She even wanted to help with laundry and dishes and house cleaning. Which I let her. When she was washing the dishes I told her to not to touch the sharp knives and she didn’t even lay a finger on it. K

If you watch Junior Masterchef, there are lots of kids doing dangerous tasks: frying, chopping veg, using mandolines, etc. BUT always under close supervision. That´s what needs to be done; careful supervision.

Hmm I would let my young child to help me cook if he or she listened to me and I would be right there watching. I let my cousin who was 5 to help me. She even wanted to help with laundry and dishes and house cleaning. Which I let her. When she was washing the dishes I told her to not to touch the sharp knives and she didn’t even lay a finger on it. K
I had 4 kids, that would have been chaos trying to watch what each of them was doing!

On cooking shows, such as Chopped Jr. & Kids Baking Championship, the kids do just about everything from prep to cooking & baking. They must've had some type of training beforehand because they all seem to be quite aware of the things that they do. But at home, it's a horse of a different color. One of my grand nephews learned how to cook when he was nine. He's almost grown now, but he knows how to cook most things. :whistling:

Last edited:
Every kid is different. I've known some twelve year olds who were more mature than some of the 25 year olds I've known. For every kid, you have to find that balance between exploring the world around them, while not letting them hurt themselves.

CD

Just after I first moved here (c.2000) I was asked by two neighbour's kids (12/13) if I would help them prepare a "foreign" dish for their school cookery class. I considered a typical easy British dish and came up with fish and chips. However, as it involved deep frying, I reconsidered and came up with egg and potato dum (or curry). The session was arranged for a few days later and they were given a list of the ingredients that they would have to buy (the spices I would provide so it was only eggs, potatoes, tomatoes and onions).

The day came and the girls arrived, however, there were not two but 13 of them swarming into my kitchen!

I panicked and decided that I'd prepare and cook everything and they could stand and watch - I lined them up at the opposite side of the kitchen.

So, to answer the OPs question: no I would not let little ones do dangerous jobs when cooking.

Egg and potato dum.

Just after I first moved here (c.2000) I was asked by two neighbour's kids (12/13) if I would help them prepare a "foreign" dish for their school cookery class. I considered a typical easy British dish and came up with fish and chips. However, as it involved deep frying, I reconsidered and came up with egg and potato dum (or curry). The session was arranged for a few days later and they were given a list of the ingredients that they would have to buy (the spices I would provide so it was only eggs, potatoes, tomatoes and onions).

The day came and the girls arrived, however, there were not two but 13 of them swarming into my kitchen!

I panicked and decided that I'd prepare and cook everything and they could stand and watch - I lined them up at the opposite side of the kitchen.

So, to answer the OPs question: no I would not let little ones do dangerous jobs when cooking.

Egg and potato dum.

Lol great story. Reminded me of my son when he was 13. I came home and him and a mate playing on computers. I said you kids need to get out. I said I'll take you eeling after school tomorrow. I bought 2 spears and went home to find 8 kids there and a parent.
Word gets round. I could envisage you with your entourage :)

Russ

Lol great story. Reminded me of my son when he was 13. I came home and him and a mate playing on computers. I said you kids need to get out. I said I'll take you eeling after school tomorrow. I bought 2 spears and went home to find 8 kids there and a parent.
Word gets round. I could envisage you with your entourage :)

Russ
Did the uninvited guests bring their own spears?

Egg and potato dum.

Hey, I couldn't even handle 4 of them. And I knew mine quite well. The 3 girls were quite competitive growing up, and jostling and elbowing in the kitchen around knives and heat elements just won't do.

Back
Top Bottom