Would you restore An Old Rusty Cleaver?

I might WANT to restore that, but I know I'd never ever ever get around to it.

Exactly, Mountain Cat!! Can't say that I blame you!! I've seen lots of vids on Youtube of old toys & other things being restored, but guess what? Much easier to buy & replace it than to restore it & go through all that work!! You're right, it'd just sit there, sit there & sit there & never ever, ever get worked on, waiting for a restore. Easier to just put it out to pasture & replace it!! Hah!! :whistling:

Last edited:
I used to watch blacksmithing videos on youtube, fascinating stuff. But just like this its all interesting to see how its done, but not worth my time (nor do I have the tools for it).

That's right, FlowersFreeTime!! Hadn't thought about that.Think of the money that would have to be spent if you even wanted to do it, but you'd have to buy the stuff;

The disk sander, the chemicals to get the bulk of the crustaion off of it, the belt sander & that tall glass container to soak it in. It'd probably cost you $100 or more, while it'd cost you far less than than to just get a shiny new cleaver. If it's easier to replace, then so be it. It's definitely not worth it to go through all that work & expence to save it!!! :wacky::scratchhead:

Last edited:
That's right, FlowersFreeTime!! Hadn't though about that.Think of the money that would have to be spent if you even wanted to do it, but you'd have to buy the stuff;

The disk sander, the chemicals to get the bulk of the crustaion off of it, the belt sander & that tall glass container to soak it in. It'd probably cost you $100 or more, while it'd cost you far less than that to just get a shiny new cleaver. If it's easier to replace, then so be it. It's definitely not worth it to go through all that work & expence to save it!!! :wacky::scratchhead:
True, but I know two guys that love that kind of stuff. They have anvils, hammers, belt sanders, axle grinders...
I have a small vice and a dremel, not quite up to the task LOL

True, but I know two guys that love that kind of stuff. They have anvils, hammers, belt sanders, axle grinders...
I have a small vice and a dremel, not quite up to the task LOL

Good!! Let THEM restore one if they think that it's worth it. It's very simple. Repair or replace. Cease & decist!! Hah!!:wink:

I could see going through all of this IF the cleaver were my Great Grandfather's or sentimental to me in some way, but just for the heck of it, ya know, I found this old cleaver as I was digging up a new garden - NO! I'd take it to the scrape metal guy for recycle, may get a buck for it.

$250 at an auction for THAT little thing?!! And then the price goes up another $250 if it isn't bought?!! Each & every time it's not bought?!! Born at night, NOT LAST NIGHT!!! You gotta be kidding!! It's probably cheaper to restore the old cleaver, & I'm still not doing that!! Hah!! I'll buy a knife or cleaver at a store first! That's even cheaper! Mama didn't raise no fool, now. :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom