Wraps From Around The World

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
5:19 PM
Wraps are a wonderful way to go with food and there is a huge variety of wraps drawing from global sources, like burritos, roti, lueruem, lettuce wraps, gyros, lumpia, egg/spring rolls, sabich, kathi rolls, sushi and more. Here is a short guide to some wrap varieties. Here's a more interesting guide to wrap varieties.

World wraps are a variety of wraps that use tortillas, but are not burritos. To present an idea of what world wraps are, here is a menu from World Wrapps, a San Francisco Bay Area restaurant franchise. Note the 2 Ps in their name. Referring to world wraps is not in conflict with them. The World Wrapps menu should give CB members some inspiration to do their own world wraps. World Wrapps does not exist outside the San Francisco Bay Area. Sorry. They are a favorite restaurant of mine, in my region.

I will try to post some photos of some wraps I have made in the past, later. But for now, here is the turkey world wrap I fixed for supper, today.

Last edited:
Here are some of my own wraps ...

The most important wrap - the KFC Twister.

EeLkYyOPFUdqYzq-800x450-noPad.jpg

I may well be alone in the world but I really don't like wraps at all. I'm talking about wraps in flatbreads. They are difficult to eat as there is often too much filling and if there isn't too much filling then the bland taste of the bread dominates. I just can't get excited...

Won tons are fine but I wouldn't term them 'wraps' any more than ravioli - which I also like. I'm not sure sushi counts as a wrap either.

I may well be alone in the world but I really don't like wraps at all.
I was about to post the same thing! I do like a burrito, but that's about it. I usually end up dumping a wrap on my plate and cutting it up with a knife and fork (which is how I eat souvlaki wrapped in pita bread).

I`m not a great fan of "wraps" either. The only two I`ve ever tried are Shawarma wraps (in pita or lavash bread) or Mexican burritos - the first are very good; the second ( I had a deep-fried Swordfish burrito in Mexico City) was spectacular.
For me a "wrap" is one of these two. I wouldn`t consider sushi, tacos, calzone or Vietnamese spring rolls as "wraps" .

Mexican burritos
I do like a burrito, but that's about it.

I'm glad I'm not alone. I don't think I ever had a burrito. They are not so prevalent here. What is special about them? I thought they were simply a flour tortilla (a flatbread really) wrapped around, well, almost any ingredients you choose as far as I can tell!

What is special about them?
Probably the defining characteristic is that it's a convenient delivery method for the contents, kind of like a sandwich.

Maybe it's just a mental block on my part, but things like bean burritos, fajitas, and egg burritos (with common Tex-Mex flavorings) taste fine in a tortilla, but lunchmeats and salad greens and sandwich condiments don't taste right at all, especially served cold/room temp.

Probably the defining characteristic is that it's a convenient delivery method for the contents, kind of like a sandwich.

Maybe it's just a mental block on my part, but things like bean burritos, fajitas, and egg burritos (with common Tex-Mex flavorings) taste fine in a tortilla, but lunchmeats and salad greens and sandwich condiments don't taste right at all, especially served cold/room temp.
Never really considered it before, but I totally agree. Proper filling in a burrito? Tasty. Proper filling in a sandwich? Tasty. Fillings proper for a sandwich in a tortilla? Doesn't work for me.

Perhaps its a temperature thing. Burritos seem like a "hot" food to me, if its cold it feels like something is wrong.

I'll add that, just like with my pizzas and my omelettes, I don't like a lot of stuff in a burrito - refried beans, a little cheese, a little salsa or taco sauce and I'm good.

Those monstrosities they serve at places like Chipotle are horrible to me. Granted, it's a pick-your-own-fillings, but seeing some of those things just turns my stomach. If Google is to be believed, an average Chipotle burrito weighs in a just under 1-1/2 pounds.

I´m by no means an expert on Mexican food, because I´ve only once been outside of Mexico City.
However, in traditional restaurants/bars/cantinas, you´ll only find seafood burritos: shrimp, swordfish, tuna. From what I understand, the "burrito" is from Northern Mexico, where it would usually be filled with spiced skirt steak or something similar, and will be underfilled, rather than overfilled. The only two requirements are (a) it has to be a flour tortilla and (b) it has to be folded over at both ends. Looks to me as if the "burrito" really took off in New Mexico and California.

I think my aversion to non-Tex-Mex wraps is probably due to these:

Allrecipes

The dreaded pinwheel "sandwich." 😱

First off...it ain't a sandwich! :headshake:

Secondly, there was a time when any party you went to, any work function, catered meeting, whatever...there'd be a platter of these atrocious things laid out - cream cheese smeared on a tortilla, some ham thrown in, maybe a bit of veg, then rolled up, sliced, and served cold (that's because they usually get made well in advance and the cream cheese slowly disintegrates the tortilla - Yuck!).

I think my aversion to non-Tex-Mex wraps is probably due to these:

Secondly, there was a time when any party you went to, any work function, catered meeting, whatever...there'd be a platter of these atrocious things laid out - cream cheese smeared on a tortilla, some ham thrown in, maybe a bit of veg, then rolled up, sliced, and served cold (that's because they usually get made well in advance and the cream cheese slowly disintegrates the tortilla - Yuck!).

Geeze that is 75% wrap.

IMG_5488.JPG

I make this for a light lunch from time to time ... Hot Ham & Swiss Crescent Pinwheels ... I want to emphasize hot and not served cold please.
I serve these with Hot Sweet Mustard on the side for dippin' and a tossed Salad for greenery.

Back
Top Bottom