Wyshiepoo

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:03 PM
What a small world we live in. We had a friends birthday last night and I mentioned to my school friend I was updating my family tree going back to Cornwall. I spoke to his wife last night as she said his family goes back to Cornwall as well. I said how amazing that was that we are kind of connected. I gave his wife a couple of sites to,find info on. Well she had been on those sites and sent e mails away. Last night she informed me my friends family goes back to Guernsey. Knowing Wyshiepoo is from there I couldn't believe it. His last name is Pengelly. Are there many with that name over there???
Such a small world isn't it??

Russ

Yes, Pengelly is a relatively common name here.
The most common is, I think, le Page, or possibly Ogier or Ozanne. There are also quite a few, me included, who have a surname made up of three words, de la Haye, de la Fosse, de la Mare.
In the past Guernsey sailors were valued for their seamanship and knowledge of large tidal ranges so ended up spread around the world.
In more recent times the advent of the finance industry helped push house prices artificially high so people found that during the 80s and 90s the value of their property was doubling, tripling or even quadrupling in 10 years or less.
Many people cashed in, sold their houses and were able to buy a much larger place in Australia or New Zealand and still have £100,000 or so to invest.

Yes, Pengelly is a relatively common name here.
The most common is, I think, le Page, or possibly Ogier or Ozanne. There are also quite a few, me included, who have a surname made up of three words, de la Haye, de la Fosse, de la Mare.
In the past Guernsey sailors were valued for their seamanship and knowledge of large tidal ranges so ended up spread around the world.
In more recent times the advent of the finance industry helped push house prices artificially high so people found that during the 80s and 90s the value of their property was doubling, tripling or even quadrupling in 10 years or less.
Many people cashed in, sold their houses and were able to buy a much larger place in Australia or New Zealand and still have £100,000 or so to invest.

I will pass that on, thank you. Genealogy is fascinating. :)

Russ

Back
Top Bottom