Yoghurt marinade and chicken

Roger Burton

Local time
6:49 PM
Website
www.rogerburton.co.uk
Hi ... I've often brined chicken in the past but recently tried yoghurt with a little seasoning and oil, it seemed ok but I find it a little odd just "wiping off" the surface marinade before frying, it just seems a little strange, it didn't taste too unpleasant but am I not getting a brown crust of yoghurt instead of some browned chicken flesh ? a couple of sites suggest rinsing off the coating ... anyone have any thoughts please ?

To be clear - are you saying the chicken doesn't brown?

I've marinated in yoghurt before and leave it coated in the marinade - but I'm not frying the chicken. I'm oven cooking or grilling. I'll see if I can find a link to an example.

I have not tried yogurt. In the US, particularly in the South, buttermilk is used to marinate chicken to be fried. The enzymes in the buttermilk break down proteins in the chicken, making it more tender and juicy. Before breading the chicken to fry, you blot the skin dry with a paper towel, and/or let it dry on a rack in the fridge.

The skin needs to be dry to get crispy. That is probably why you are supposed to clean off the yogurt. Since yogurt is thicker than buttermilk, it is probably harder to get off the skin.

CD

I've marinated in yoghurt before and leave it coated in the marinade - but I'm not frying the chicken. I'm oven cooking or grilling. I'll see if I can find a link to an example.

By grilling, I assume you mean what we call broiling in the US?

CD

So here we have the chicken in the yoghurt and a piece wiped off ready for frying, as you can see unless I rinse it there's a fair amount of yoghurt still on the meat so when I fry the strips of chicken the surface will brown but will that not be browning the surface yoghurt. (I don't know of any recipes for fried yoghurt) :)

So here we have the chicken in the yoghurt and a piece wiped off ready for frying, as you can see unless I rinse it there's a fair amount of yoghurt still on the meat so when I fry the strips of chicken the surface will brown but will that not be browning the surface yoghurt. (I don't know of any recipes for fried yoghurt) :)

Okay, I'm a bit confused. Are you breading and frying the chicken, or just frying the meat and whatever yogurt is left on it?

Also, that is skinless chicken, so if it is not breaded, it is going to be hard to brown. There is not enough fat.

CD

Yes just frying with whatever yoghurt left on it I’ll just go ahead and fry it with the coating ... btw I manage to get bit of colour on skinless meat, not a lot maybe but generally enough for ‘visual’ appeal.

Well it looks OK in terms of browning. You obviously can't leave too much yoghurt marinade on or it wouldn't brown at all. If I was going to cook it like this I'd wipe not rinse the yoghurt away a bit (as you did). But you know - you will get a prettier result of you grill (broil in the US) it and leave more marinade on. How are you going to serve this? I mean, what is the next stage?

Back
Top Bottom