Local time
8:52 AM
Or if no Angel willing to help out

Ingredients
4 large, fresh eggs, measured into a jug
Equal quantity of milk to your measured eggs
Equal quantity of all purpose/plain flour to measured eggs
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp lard, beef dripping (or vegetable oil!)

Method
  • Heat the oven to the highest temperature possible, however, do not exceed 230°C / 450°F or the fat may burn.
  • Pour the eggs and milk into a large mixing bowl and add the pinch of salt. Whisk thoroughly with an electric hand beater or hand whisk. Leave to stand for 10 minutes.
  • Gradually sieve the same volume of flour (as the eggs) into the milk and egg mixture, again using an electric hand beater or hand-whisk to create a lump free batter resembling thick cream, if there are any lumps pass the batter through a fine sieve.
  • Leave the batter to rest in the kitchen for a minimum of 30 minutes, longer if possible - up to several hours.
  • Place a pea-sized piece of lard, dripping or ½ tsp vegetable oil into your chosen Yorkshire pudding tin, or a 4 x 2"/5cm hole tin or 12-hole muffin tin and heat in the oven until the fat is smoking. Give the batter another good whisk adding 2 tbsps of cold water and fill a third of each section of the tin with batter and return quickly to the oven.
  • Leave to cook until golden brown approx 20 minutes. Repeat the last step again until all the batter is used up.
  • In Yorkshire serving the pudding is traditionally with gravy as a starter dish followed by the meat and vegetables. More often smaller puddings cooked in muffin tins are served alongside meat and vegetables.
  • Yorkshire Puddings do not reheat well, becoming brittle and dry.

The secret to making Yorkshires, as they are fondly known, is to pour well rested, cold batter into slightly smoking hot fat and put immediately back into a really hot oven. It is as simple as that.

http://britishfood.about.com/od/regionalenglishrecipes/r/yorkspuds.htm

Thank you for the recipe. I have always wanted to try Yorkshire pudding and now I can actually try it.
:)

Yes, that is a good recipe. I never made it for Christmas though. It was very warm here...and I didn't feel like messing around in the kitchen too much. However, I did make a nice roast of beef and scalloped corn which is a bit like a corn pudding. That was very good, and I hadn't had it for a long time so it was something quite enjoyable and lovely for a meal.

Have been wanting to make Yorkies for my boyfriend for ages now so am very happy to see this posted! Am curious though, how long do they last in the fridge (or out of fridge?), and do they freeze well or at all? Hmm. Will do some Googling, too. I've always loved them with potatoes, beef, peas and gravy! Yum.

Maybe I am going to end up with a bag full of Yorkshire puddings in my freezer. Oh, that would be LOVELY! :hungry:

Sounds like a great recipe. I love hearty comfort foods and Yorkshire pudding is definitely one of my favorites. I made some once and while they were good I didn't really have an appropriate pan for them so they didn't come out big and fluffy as I would have liked.

Don't judge but I have a Harry Potter cook book that I actually use quite often whenever I'm in the mood for good food, which I find British cuisine to be just that for me.

Have been wanting to make Yorkies for my boyfriend for ages now so am very happy to see this posted! Am curious though, how long do they last in the fridge (or out of fridge?), and do they freeze well or at all? Hmm. Will do some Googling, too. I've always loved them with potatoes, beef, peas and gravy! Yum.

Maybe I am going to end up with a bag full of Yorkshire puddings in my freezer. Oh, that would be LOVELY! :hungry:
You can freeze for several months once cooked. Just heat up in hot oven for 7 to 8 minutes from frozen.

I can't go wrong with them at the moment ,I do about 80 at work on Sunday and people are amazed by the size and quizz me on the ingredients,I turn the puds at the end of cooking and rest batter for a day,I find short rests give a outwards cook but lighter,equal ingredients is a good recipe

I can't go wrong with them at the moment ,I do about 80 at work on Sunday and people are amazed by the size and quizz me on the ingredients,I turn the puds at the end of cooking and rest batter for a day,I find short rests give a outwards cook but lighter,equal ingredients is a good recipe
Hey, @Berties, I thought you posted saying the restaurant was being sold? Have you got a new venture? :D

You can always cheat and add a portion of self-raising flour if you find that they don't raise enough :wink: That's what my mother does with hers anyway!

I absolutely adore Yorkshire Pudding's and don't understand people who hate them. Definitely one of my favourite foods.

Has anyone tried the traditional Yorkshire Pudding's with strawberries and cream in? I once had a teacher in primary school who swore by it!

You can always cheat and add a portion of self-raising flour if you find that they don't raise enough :wink: That's what my mother does with hers anyway!

I absolutely adore Yorkshire Pudding's and don't understand people who hate them. Definitely one of my favourite foods.

Has anyone tried the traditional Yorkshire Pudding's with strawberries and cream in? I once had a teacher in primary school who swore by it!
Strawberries and cream in a starter!

Put 'em in stocks for a week!

Hey, @Berties, I thought you posted saying the restaurant was being sold? Have you got a new venture? :D
I've been up to lots, consultancy, development and now I'm helping out with a pub , the restaurant is still not sold ,but trading ceased , there is a planning issue that has to be resolved , I've been working in bath , Bristol , Bournemouth and closer to home ,so all is good

We had toad in the hole for dinner this evening, my husband made the yorkshire pudding from scratch

DSCN2454.JPG

My grandma, a Yorkshire lass by birth used to make a huge pud and us kids would smear it with gran's home made raspberry jam and scoff until our tummies bulged :hungry:

Back
Top Bottom